Chapter 23

“Nell,” Fletcher sounded tired and I panicked for a moment that I might have woken him up.

“It’s me,” I replied.

The line went silent again for a few moments and eventually Fletcher let out a heavy sigh and began to talk.

“I’m dreading to think how much this call is going to cost you,” he said.

“Don’t even remind me,” I warned, “I’ll have to think of some way to explain it to Dad later.”

“You mean he’s not the one who convinced you to call me?”

“He tried his hardest,” I admitted, “but it was Kyle who forced me to in the end.”

“Is there any particular reason while you’re whispering?” Fletcher asked.

I thought about how to explain my situation at that moment, how best to describe it to Fletcher, it would not have been the most difficult thing; he already knows the basis of it. But as I began to plan my answer, tears started to stream down my cheeks and the next thing I knew wracking sobs are being sent down the phone.

“Nell are you okay? Jesus Christ, I swear I didn’t mean all that shit I said.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the fact that Fletcher was still worrying that it was his fault even with all those miles between us.

“It’s not you,” I said slowly, “my mum’s back.”

Fletcher took some time to process this.

“The mum that left?”

“Yeah - you generally only have one mum Fletcher. And everything feels like shit and we had a massive argument and I don’t even really know anymore Fletcher, I’m just worried that Dad is going to ask her to come back.”

“Breathe,” Fletcher coached.

I was about to reply, about to mock him for his shit attempt at playing therapist but just then a sliver of light was cast over me and Dad poked his head around the door.

“Nell?” he said confused.

“Sorry,” I replied, “Kyle asked me to stay in here with him.”

“It’s fine,” Dad assured me, “your mother has gone by the way.”

“For how long?”

“A while hopefully. I told her not to come back until she had a genuine reason as to why she left, do you think that was too harsh?”

“I think that’s fine Dad,” I told him, “you did a great job.”

“It doesn’t exactly feel like it,” he admitted, “Nell do you want your mother back in your life?”

“I don’t know,” I replied honestly, “I mean I hate her for what she did and at the same time she’s my mum and the whole thing is just so confusing.”

“My thoughts exactly.”

“I hate this whole situation.”

“Hey don’t talk like that,” Dad said, “it’ll all get better and at least we’re all in this together, yeah?”

“Yeah,” I replied.

“I’ll let you sleep now.”

“Thanks.”

“Or at least you can sleep when you get off the phone with Fletcher.”

“How did you know?”

“I’m your Dad Eleanor, of course I knew.”

Dad left me feeling very confused but as he pulled the door shut, I pulled the phone back to my ear.