~*~ The Past can Hurt ~*~

Liza’s POV

Rebekah left Bonnie’s a couple of hours ago, as did Caroline, but Jeremy and I hung around. I was waiting for Rebekah to come home to tell me her brother’s answer on whether I could live with them, whereas Jeremy had nothing better to do with his life. I was sure if Rebekah asked Elijah, he’d show me pity, and allow me to live in his house. But if she went to either of her other brothers I highly doubted they’d agree.

Jeremy looked as if he was asleep on the couch, but he could just be lying there with his eyes closed. Bonnie on the other hand was now stacking up all of the books only leaving one out on the floor, which I guessed was the one that contained the spell we needed to gain their memories again. I on the other hand was sat in the arm chair, attempting to stay awake but it was going to be hard. I knew as soon as I actually did something then I wouldn’t fall asleep but at the moment there wasn’t anything to do, so I just had to try and keep my eyes open.

After about twenty minutes more of waiting Rebekah came to the front door of Bonnie’s house. Bonnie let her in and she came into the living room with a frown.

“Did you do it?” I asked.

“Yeah. Come on, let’s go. I told Elijah I’d take you to get your stuff and then take you home,” Rebekah sighed.

“Thank you, Rebekah. Also thank you Bonnie for all of your help, but go and sleep,” I smiled.

We quickly left Bonnie’s house before going to Caroline’s. I quickly changed into actual clothes rather than the pyjamas that I had been previously wearing. I grabbed the bag of stuff I had bought in the short while I had stayed with Caroline.

Afterwards Rebekah took me to her home where she left me in the hallway on my own, before leaving the house. I kind of guessed that she would abandon me here, but I did hope that Kol and Nik weren’t here at the moment as I’m sure I’d have my throat ripped out.

Elijah arrived in the hallway with a warm smile on his face.

“Hello Liza, where did Rebekah go?” He smiled.

“Hello, she left. I’m sorry for intruding on your family, I didn’t have anywhere else to turn really,” I smiled back softly.

“It’s fine. We have a room sorted out for you. I must apologise now that there isn’t a door, and it’s a little messy, but it seems much better suited for you than the other rooms in the house,” He stated softly.

I was pretty sure he was talking about my old bedroom, as it didn’t have a door and it was rather messy, but he could also describe most of the rooms in this house.

“It’s okay, I’m just glad to have a place to stay,” I smiled.

“You can move anything you want around in here, take anything down from the walls or put new stuff up. Whatever’s in there is now yours,” He responded.

He led me to my old bedroom, leaving me there to settle in. It felt nice to be here, in my room that had all of my memories in it, but I definitely needed to remove all of the photos and hide them as it’d be creepy if they came in here and found pictures of me with them.

I hung up my clothes in the wardrobe with the other garments that I previously owned. I then removed the photos from the walls and the displays before putting them into the draw of the bedside cabinet.

I picked up all of the objects strewn across the floor. It was the only time that the room had really been tidied up but I thought I should make it look like I didn’t actually own this room.

By the time I had finished, Elijah was stood in my doorway again.

“I’ve cooked some dinner if you’d like some,” he smiled.

“Thank you, I’ll be right down,” I smiled in response.

He nodded walking away from my door and probably making his way to the kitchen. I waited a second before following him. When I got to the kitchen Elijah was sat at the table with two plate of food layed out for us.

I took a seat opposite him.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, I’m not the best cook but it should be edible,” He chuckled.

I took a mouthful of the food and it actually didn’t taste terrible. To be honest I wasn’t fussy with food, seen as I hadn’t actually had to eat it in such a long time and just ate food to make myself seem human, but now I actually needed it.

“It’s really nice. Thank you for all of this, you’re a stranger to me, and you have been so kind,” I smiled softly.

It really hurt to call him a stranger, but I was a stranger to him now, and I couldn’t let on that I actually did know him.

“Honestly Liza, its fine. My family and I are more than happy about having you here. Well technically my brothers don’t know you’re here, but Rebekah insisted and I am happy to have you here,” He chuckled.

“How many of you live here?” I questioned.

I knew the exact answer but I couldn’t let him know that. At least this way I was acting like I had an interest in his family and what was happening in his life.  I did have an interest but most things about him I already knew.

“There are four of us. You’ve met Kol and Rebekah already, but there’s also our brother Niklaus,” he explained.

“I’m guessing you are quite a close family then?” I smiled.

“Not particularly. We all have very conflicting views on pretty much everything. Do you have any siblings?” He asked.

“No. I’m an only child,” I stated.

I was pretty sure I was an only child although no one knew what happened to my Mother, so she could have gone on to have more children after she disappeared from my life.

“If you don’t mind me asking why aren’t you staying with your parents?” He said, looking weary about the question.

“I never met my Mother, I have no idea what happened to her. My Father died when I was a child, so I have no family,” I explained.

It was all completely true. I just left out the details of this occurring 900 years ago in Italy rather than a few years ago, as he thought.

The family talk quickly came to an end, before more lying had to come to the table as we ate.

“How did you meet your fiancé?” He questioned.

“We met when we were really young. By young I mean I was only a kid, and he was a little bit older than me. As we got to know each other we fell in love. We took our time getting married and then it all crumbled,” I sighed.

“Don’t worry, either he’ll remember you and you’ll get your happily ever after with him, or you’ll find someone else,” He smiled softly.