Chapter 1

Once apon a time there was a girl whose life was not the easiest and a prince who searched for love. The girl didn't tell anyone, but she's been in love with him for a long time already. So there's nothing holding her back. She could tell him her feelings and they'll be together for the rest of their lives.

Wait, this is no fairy tale! Let's be serious; in reality this never would happen. We can't just wish for something and then it comes true. We have to work hard for our dreams. And sometimes they never come true, no matter how hard you try. Like in my case.

"Alexa, come on!" I hear my sister shout from downstairs. "Mom is waiting. Well, if she still remembers we wanted to come." So I slowly close the book I've been reading since my alarm clock rang and get up from my bed. Before I leave my room, I look to the book one last time. Cinderella. If only my life could change to the better like hers...

"I'm ready," I say after I put on my chucks and my jacket. My sister on the other side is standing in front of me only with her pink socks. "I thought we'd go to Mom now. Why don't you have your shoes on?"

Instead of answering my question she asks me something else, "You haven't had breakfast, have you?" You can really hear in her voice how worried she is. And so does she look like.

"Okay, busted," I say after a short silence. I've already been eating less for almost one week. But what should I do? I just don't feel hungry. First there's this problem with my mother and then there's this guy at my school I like a lot, but he doesn't pay attention to me at all.

"You can't go on like this, Alexa! My life isn't that great at the moment, too, but do I stop eating? No!" Now she's very serious. "You only make it worse, do you understand?"

"Yes, Sierrah," I murmur. "I'll try to eat more again, but I can't promise anything. Can we go to Mom now?" Although I always get goosebumps all over my body when I see her, I'd rather go to her than talk about my health.

Immediately after that Sierrah puts her shoes - or should I say high heels? - and her jacket on and reaches for the keys of her car.

She's made her driver's license at the age of 17 and today she's 19 years old. As I'm 18 and a half years old, I also could make mine. But the thing is that I don't have enough money and my grandparents don't let me borrow theirs.

Oh, my dad? He's not part of the family anymore. He left us after he had found out what has happened to Mom because he couldn't deal with the situation. That was only one month ago. Since then I try to think about him as less as possible. And most of the time it works.

You might think now that I'm such a cold person because I don't miss him like others would. But he left us alone when we needed him the most. In my opinion it's not worth missing someone like him.

"I know I'm saying it all the time, but don't..." my sister starts talking to me during the drive, but I don't let her finish the sentence and interrupt her. Although she hates it, I continue doing it. As a younger sister it is my job to go on her nerves.

"I won't tell her too much about the past. I know that this could overtax her," I finally say, whereupon Sierrah nodds and looks much calmer.

For the rest of the drive we don't talk anymore. There's just the music from the radio. I don't know the song - all I can say is that it's sung by a male -, but I really like it.

It doesn't take too long until we arrive at the parking spot that belongs to the big, white building being located a few feets further. With every step we're approaching it I get more and more nervous.

"Hello," a blonde woman I've never seen in my life - she might be new - greets us right after we've entered the building. It almost seems like she's waiting for people all day long. As I smile at her, she asks, "Can I help you?"

"No, thank you. We've already been here a few times and we know where to go," my sister explains.

First you have to go to the end of this corridor, then turn left, go straight away twice and lastly turn right. Somewhere in that corridor there is room 101. There you can find our mother.

"Alright," the woman responds. "I guess you are visiting a family member or a friend. I hope you can enjoy the time here." I also hope.

After that we make our way to Mom's room. Not a minute later we stand right in front of the door. For some reason I don't want to knock and just stare at the numbers. 101.

What has happened to her that we shouldn't tell her too much about the past? Well, she once got in an argument with my so-called dad and wanted to drive around to calm down a little. But that was a bad idea. She got into an accident and lost her memory.

She couldn't remember anything, except for the concert of Michael Jackson she went to with her mother when she was a kid. She didn't even know who Sierrah and I were. The whole life my mother was living before the accident is gone.

That's why we put her into a nursing home. Sometimes it's difficult at home, but it's better for her as long as he can't remember anything.

"Come in!" I hear my mother's voice through the door, which brings me back to reality. Sierrah must have knocked while I was in my thoughts.

So we open the door and enter the room. "Hi, Mom."

~~~~~

That was it, the first chapter. I hope you liked it❤️

Also remember that English is not my first language, so don't judge me if there are errors. But it would be useful if you indicated them😊

By the way, the cover was made by RemainingMercy, so give her an applause👏

I don't know when I'll upload the next chapter because I also am writing two German stories at the moment. That's why there will be slow updates.

But yeah, see you next time💕