||SEVEN||

Her hands trembled as they were handed the scalpel. The ominous knife lay in her hand, brand new. "Aren't you excited?" The man, clad in all white whispered. The pure colors labeled him an angel, an untainted force.

His actions spoke differently. The kind look on his face was contrasted with the scene behind him, the person strapped to an experiment table. The scientists. The organs in the corner.

The man pat her head. "Don't be afraid, come over and watch!" His tone was gentle, soft. 

God it was terrifying.

He pulled her closer to the operating table, standing the child on a low stool. She had a perfect view of the operation. She stood stock still, her violet eyes wide in a mixture of horror and shock.

The blood.

The screams.

The lack of mercy.

She watched at the clean steel tools became drenched in blood. She watched as they gave him some kind of serum...something that made him scream like nothing she had ever heard. God, those sound, they weren't even human.

The scientist tuned towards her. "Why don't you help? all we need you to do is cut away part of the spine." He told her. 

It was an order.

The girl trembled.

Could she really do that?

Was it really okay to do that?

As if reading her mind, the scientist kindly smiled. "It's fine, he's a pirate after all." He stated it as fact. 

The child hesitantly nodded. She stepped forward.

Towards the operating table.

-

Lying on her plain white bed, the child felt dirty.

She had done everything. 

Washed her hands with soap, taken a shower, changed to new clothes.

But she couldn't rid of the feeling.

She felt sick, so so sick and dirty. Stained. It was as if she was coated in an invisible layer of dirt and grime. She could practically feel blood through the thin plastic gloves. 

The sound of his screams wouldn't leave her ears.

The girl didn't sleep well that night.

It marked the beginning of Roxi's nightmares.

-

Roxi's head jerked up from the desk. Damn her back hurt. She should remember not to sleep at desks anymore. Roxi groaned, pushing the chair back and standing up. For some reason her hair felt heavier than usual. 

.

.

.

Ehhh--nothing to worry about!

She should get coffee. 

Roxi stepped out of her room. She fairly certain it was still early morning...if she had slept for three hours--it should be about six. After walking down the hall and climbing up the ladder, Roxi eventually arrived just outside the galley.

She should be able to make coffee here shouldn't she? It did have a kitchen area after all.

Pushing the galley doors open, Roxi stepped in. The room was relatively deserted, but Roxi did notice Mello sleeping at a table. Trying to be as quiet as she could, Roxi walked to the kitchen in hope of coffee.

As she entered the kitchen, she was immediately bombarded by the realization that she had no idea where the coffee was. 

Hmm....

Roxi blankly stared at the cabinets.

Hmm....

Ah!

There was a cabinet labeled 'Coffee for you addicts. Don't use to much!'

Delighted, Roxi scooped a large amount of coffee beans, and immediately started on the coffee. Soon enough, the mouthwatering aroma of rich coffee filled the air. Roxi heard a groan from behind her. "Coffee...?" Mello murmured, still half asleep.

He jolted upright, looking towards the kitchen in surprise. Before instantly relaxing upon seeing it was only Roxi. 

They, almost as though their minds were linked, both decided it would be best to not attempt any form of social interaction.

Just as Roxi was pouring the coffee into two cups, the door creaked open. And--inside stepped the captain himself, Law. His steely grey eyes quickly surveyed the room, making note of the rather calm situation. 

Behind her, Roxi heard Law seat himself, also making no attempt at conversation

Hmm...She should probably pour another cup for Law.

After succeeding in pouring the rich dark brown drink, Roxi carried three cups to the table, giving one to each of the pirates, and keeping the last for herself. She sat down next to Law, and relaxed.

Peacefully drinking coffee in a comfortable silence, completely relaxed, while looking like something the cat dragged in from some god forsaken gutter. The trio was the perfect image of slow tired and shitty mornings. 

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end... Only thirty minutes later, the door was swung open by a large blonde haired man. His gold eyes glanced around the room, eventually landing on the relaxed trio of night owls. 

The man groaned. 

"Great--another late-night coffee addict..." His voice was deep and gravely. "And I thought dealin' with Mello an' Captain was as hard as it gets..." The man grumbled.

While Roxi totally ignored the man, Law lifted his head. "Suck it up Croi-ya..." Law muttered.

"You're not the one who supplies your coffee addiction." The man, Croi, retorted. Roxi assumed he was the chef, based no the fact that he went straight to the kitchen and had somehow already started working.

After that no one talked. 

Or rather--no one talked until the door, once again, squeaked open. It had only been half an hour.

This time it was an orange haired green eyed boy who entered. "Good morning Captain! Mello, and umm..." The boy trailed off when he sighted Roxi.

"Roxi." Law filled him in.

The boy nodded, a friendly smile on his face. "Nice to meet you Roxi!"

Oh god, that smile.

Roxi didn't think she had ever seen a smile so pure and enthusiastic.

"Not even 'gunna greet your teacher?" Croi commented.

The boy immediately stood up straight and nervously turned to Croi. He bowed. "G-good morning t-teacher!" 

Croi grunted in response, waving the doe-eyed boy over. 

He quickly scampered to the kitchen. "C'mon Rye, we don't got all day! Stop lousing about!"

The boy viciously nodded.

Roxi lowered her head again, there was nothing of much interest.

She found herself subconsciously leaning on Law. Neither of them really had the energy to complain, much less move--so they ended up staying like that for about an hour.

But--oh god. 

The galley had been silent up until then...

The crew entered like a storm. A flash storm.

-----

Bit shorter than usual, but I hope 'ya like it! What do you think of Croi and Rye btw? 

I kinda made their names based on bread. Croi is just his nickname, his full name is Croissant, and--well--Rye is fairy self-explanatory.