Chapter 2: The loss of a Friend

OCTOBER, 7, 1952

"Happy Birthday Cassadee, You know your mother and Brother still visit your Grave every year, even though there is nobody there. It's so sweet, oh and your Brother 'Miraculously' has been cured of his cancer. See your sacrifices are worth it." Dr. Whitmore mocked my Family and I, something I will get him back for one day. 

He has staged my 'Death', but he doesn't realize how determined my family is, they didn't see my Body so they won't believe any of it, at least, I hope that they don't. 

I have gotten used to pain, I don't have to feel anymore pain because I just turned off my humanity so I don't feel anything, no sorrow, anger, nothing. At least I thought I had flipped the switch. 

"Just shut up and find someone else to waste your breath on." I told him tired of hearing his condescending voice, I thought that I would finally be able to escape from him, but I had forgotten that he can't and won't forget about us, because he is so eager to figure out Vampires. 

"All right fine, but because I am feeling generous, you get an extra helping of blood today and only today, because it's your birthday." He chuckled and had the blood person slide in my daily blood, I quickly drank it.

Once Dr. whitmore finally left I needed something to distract me from thinking about what I would be doing for my Birthday, if I was still a Human, so I leaned against the wall that Lorenzo was more than likely leaning against and thought about what I could talk about with him.

"So... Lorenzo, whats your favorite car? mine is Lamborghin." I tried to strike up a conversation with him. I have watch and observed him before I became subject 12145.

I didn't know about Dr. whitmore cutting up the Vampires and putting them through that stuff until a month before they made me a subject. 

"Jaguar." Was all I got from him and I smiled, thankful that he was speaking to me, most of the time he was lost staring at Maggie.

I used to work beside her, we used to laugh and talk about Bing Crosby and dance together. Now she observes me and doesn't even realize the pain and mental anguish they put us through. 

"Enzo I am so sorry, for what they are doing to you, I didn't even know until a day ago and If I'd have known sooner... I am sorry but I have to leave here, I can not be a part of this, you hang in there Enzo." Maggie whispered as she, I believe caressed his face and ran out of the room. 

Wow, she just spoke the words I was thinking, maybe I shouldn't have been thinking about our old friendship, because she just up and left Enzo. 

"Well we are most certainly Damn'd now, no hope and no one to remind us of our Humanity." Gage groaned and I just giggled. Of all times to be sarcastic, Gage had some sick sense of humor. 

"Okay it is going to be you today 12145, you seem the most lively-" Dr. Whitmore smirked, until Gage slapped the bars of his Cell calling attention towards him. 

"Tch, I am far more lively then her, come on, have some fun with me Dr. Whitmore." Gage chuckled and I was shaking my head at him in frustration. I was trying to get him to back down and just let me get my torture over with. 

"Very well, 12143 It is you today. though if I didn't know better you are protecting 12145, that won't last long." Dr. whitmore smirked as he yanked Gage from his cell, Gage smiled and winked at me before he disappeared and the place was filled with his cries of pain. 

I still haven't figured out how to block out the guys yelling and hollering from pain. It's horrible to hear the two guys you get along with in pain you want to kill who ever is doing that to them and never hear their pain ever again.

Killing them isn't an option and very impossible to do so, because they keep us so heavily dosed on vervain, that the small amount of Blood gives us just enough to not let the vervain completely harm us.

Though when time seemed to drag on and the painful yelling ceased, but there was no, Dr. Whitmore dragging Gage behind him, it just became silent.

I stood up and stumbled toward the bars, falling and leaning against them. Hoping that maybe they were having a hard time heaving him off the table or something, but more time passed until the sun rose and they were giving us our Blood Ration. 

I slammed myself against the bars of the cell and grabbed the Ration guy by the collar. "Where is Gage!" I asked him almost in tears, because Dr. Whitmoree never keeps a subject this long. 

He sprayed vervain on me, I screamed but held on. "Where is 12143, where is Gage!" I asked him desperate to know where he was. This time the guy opened the spray bottle and dumped it on me, causing me to scream and scurry back. 

"Hey back off of her, put that junk away and just tell her what happened to subject 12143." Enzo growled, he reached out to me and I whimpered, because the remaining of  the vervain stuff, was still burning me. 

I crawled over to the wall with the Bars so I could reach Enzo and laid by his arms. He petted my hair, but hissed in pain since I was soaking wet with Vervain but he didn't care, He still continued to comfort me, he was like an older brother. 

"How Sweet 12144 comforting 12145. I will need to record that Vampires do care for one another, they don't just rip each other apart. Now to answer your question about 12143, he is dead, he flinched while I was examining his heart. Now it's your turn 12145." Dr. Whitmore spoke as if he was just discussing the weather and not my friend. I screamed and felt the tears falling down my face, no please no!