6

"Are you ready to tell me why I've been honored with such an abrupt visit?" the impossibly tall blond turned from the single cup coffee maker to hand Law a fresh brew.

He'd arrived agitated that morning and announced his stay with his adopted father without explanation. Rosinante didn't mind of course, he'd always welcome a visit from his only son, however Law seemed troubled and completely shut down. His father was hoping after some rest he'd be more willing to speak.

"How hard is it to file a petition against marrying your match?" the raven asked keeping his steel gaze fixed on the mug in front of him.
"Very," replied his father taking a seat, "what's happened? I know you aren't particularly fond of the law but you and F/N had been getting along recently."
"She's made it abundantly clear that she doesn't want this." he sighed, "Not that I do either. It would just be easier if she was less resistant."
"Well, part of a relationship is working through such issues, yeah?"
Law scoffed, "I don't even know what the issues are."
Rosinante hummed thoughtfully, "Have you even addressed her resistance?"
"It's all surrounding her ex. They were together quite a while."
"That is difficult." the blond nodded, "She isn't over it?"

Law sighed heavily and shifted uncomfortably.

"She met up with him while I was on my shift last night."

Rosinante blinked, it seemed this actually bothered Law on a deeper level, though he knew right now he wouldn't get him to admit that.

"You don't think she slept with him?“ he asked the question before running the thought through the proper filters.
Law's eyes sharpened on the cup in his hand, "That's what it usually means when someone comes home reeking of another's cologne."

His tone was more bitter than intended.

"Did you ask her?"

Ok that was a stupid question.

"N-not directly," Law stammered over his father's bluntness, "she claimed he was having a crisis and then immediately had an anxiety attack. I told her we'd deal with it today."
"And here you are not dealing with it." Rosi scolded.
"You don't understand. Your condition allowed you to bypass this messy forced relationship bullshit." Law was losing his patience.
"Though I did get to forgo the forced relationship, as you call it, don't forget I have been in a relationship or two of my own. Communication is important, even if it's unpleasant or inconvenient." he rubbed Laws shoulder affectionately, "Besides you were actually starting to like her, right?"
Law shifted away from his father and glared at his teasing face, "Not even a little."

____________

"Do you mind?" the freckled male cocked his chin at your cousin.
"I clearly know all of the dirty secrets so, yeah I mind." Zoro straightened up in his seat.
"Down boy." you muttered, "Close the door we can chat in front of him."

Ace cast a wary glance at your cousin, still puffed up in his seat, before entering the room completely and closing the door behind him.

"Look, before you even start, I already told Marco I wasn't going to get involved," you leaned back in the office chair, "don't waste your breath."
"We don't think it's his either." he confessed sliding into the chair next to your cousin.
"Well it's not mine." you scoffed making Zoro chuckle.
Ace deadpanned, "Look if we can prove she's been fooling around then he can divorce her and we can petition for you to marry instead."
"Can you please stop filling her with false hope?" Zoro sneered.

Your chest felt tight. Why couldn't you just move past all of this crap with Marco? He was married and you'd been matched - and actually matched with someone considerate of your feelings and mental health.

"They were perfect for each other. This isn't false hope, we could make it happen." Ace argued.
"She needs to move on." Zoro scooted forward, "You guys need to let her go."
"Does she want to move on? She willingly met up with him in the middle of the night."

Both men looked at you as you stared through them, eyes glossed over.

"I- it doesn't work that way." it was hard to get the words out.
"So you're saying you don't love him?" Ace asked.
"... Of course I do." you paused, "I...I just can't."
"You should probably go." your cousin stood puffing out his chest.
Ace rose waving his hands innocently glancing around Zoro at you, "Just think about it ok?“

The room fell silent while your cousin tried to calm himself.

Your phone pinged.

Law: Won't be home tonight.

"You all just need to learn to leave well enough alone." Zoro scolded turning from the closed door.
"This is well enough?" you snapped up from locking your phone not bothering to respond to your fiance.
He deadpanned, "You know what I mean, F/N. It just gets hard to see you like this."
"I'm trying." you voiced weakly.
"Are you?" he shot you and incredulous glare, "Meeting up with him in the middle of the night in a place you used to sneak off to? C'mon."
"I don't know what I was thinking." you lowered your head.
"Why else would you go? You were hoping something would happen." he accused.

You pouted feeling tears well up.

Zoro's expression softened as he moved to pull you into a hug, a gesture he reserved for very few people.

"I'm sorry. I guess tough love won't work this time."
You shook your head, "I really am trying."

_______________

It was 3:20AM and you were sitting on the sofa glued to the latest season of The Great British Baking Show when you heard keys clang against the door. Law hadn't been home in three days, you assumed sleeping at the hospital.

When texted if he was alright the only response was 'Yes' and that was that.

Quietly he entered, both of you tensing in each other's presence. You stubbornly kept yourself from turning to meet his most likely indifferent gaze as he crossed to his room stopping before turning the knob.

"We'll talk tomorrow." his voice was soft and calm but firm.

You swallowed past the lump that had formed in your throat and croaked out an embarrassingly weak, 'ok'.

Once on the other side of his door he took a deep breath to calm his racing heart.

He despised that feeling.