13

"You're telling me she just lied to the government-yoi?" Marco sat across from your cousin at the dining room table in the Newgate house.
"She did well, I guess." Zoro shrugged.
"That's so unlike her." Marco rubbed his face and adjusted his glasses.
"Yeah, well, she's been doing a lot of things that are unlike her lately." The greenette grumbled,"This is your fault anyway. We told you to stop bothering her."
Marco's brows pinched, "Sorry loving her is such a bother-yoi."
"She's been an anxious mess for months and when she finally starts to get over you, you get her tangled up with the government?"

The blonde sat back surprised and ran his right hand through his hair.

"She's over me?"
Zoro sighed heavily,"What do you want from her, man?"
"Zoorrooooooo!" Luffy interrupted from the next room, "When are we gonna play Mario Kart?! You're taking forrreeeevvvveeerrr."
"Shut up, will ya?!" His older brother hollered back.
"She needs to move on and so do you." Zoro stood, "If you get questioned, you were ordering a cake and she put you on the wait-list. Nothing more complicated than that."

Marco watched your cousin leave the room. He hated the idea of you moving on. None of this was what he wanted, especially everything that hurt you.

An anxious mess?

You were always content and warm. Had he really done that much damage? Was that night in November really the end? He didn't want any of it to be true. After the years the two of you had shared he'd assumed you'd be happy if the baby wasn't his - that you'd have your chance to be together again. You always had this silly dream the both of you would somehow get skipped in the matching process, and though you wouldn't be allowed to legally be married, you could still live out your days together.

He lit a cigarette and stared down at the bottle of beer on the table.

Getting over him?

That stung. He knew you weren't happy with him popping up out of nowhere. He didn't know why he couldn't stop himself from seeing you. But to know that you might be falling for some guy you were forced into a relationship with made him feel sick, even worse, there was a pang of envy.

He was matched with Amande for a reason, he just didn't know what that was. They got along well enough and were physically compatible. But she was also rather cold toward him. They'd been married for months and he couldn't tell you her favorite color.

So many things we're simultaneously unraveling and developing he was having a hard time keeping it together. Was he really just supposed to let you go?

__________________________________

A week passed and you hadn't had any more unexpected visitors or phone calls. Zoro reported back that his conversation with Marco went as expected. There wasn't much more you could do but hope there was no further investigation. 

Things at home weren't as awkward and distant as they had been. You had dinner together more often, or as often as Law's schedule would allow. Sometimes you stayed up late chatting about your childhoods.

It was a rainy Sunday evening and you had gotten comfortable on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn. Law entered quietly after getting home from his shift and taking a quick shower. He settled next to you with a book. You spread the blanket covering your lap to his to share some warmth. He watched you adjust your position next to him like this was something the two of you did daily.

Feeling his gaze, you paused, "Oh, sorry. You're probably warm after your shower."
He stopped you as you began to take the blanket back, "It's chilly in here, don't apologize."
"A-as long as you're comfortable." you murmured, shifting your focus away from his soft smirk.

It was an expression that made your chest squeeze a little in an exciting way. He looked at you like this more often than he was probably conscious of.

"What are you watching?" his interested tone floated past the pages of his open book.
"Chef's Table… it's about chefs from all over the world. They aren't famous really, but they are well known in their respective countries or regions."
"Do you only watch cooking shows?" he sounded clearer as the book moved away from his face to note how your ears and neck heated up.
"I-I guess so?" you stammered, "I mean I'm a chef, I love to cook - you know that."

Why did this feel embarrassing?

Law smiled, "Yes, I benefit from it frequently. I just can't think of any other shows you watch. There's nothing wrong with it."
"I watch other things," you glanced up at him drawing a blank on any good examples, "I can't think of any of them at the moment…but I do."
He chuckled and raised his book again, "Forgive me for interrupting."

You sat like this for a while, each enjoying your own activity but sharing the same space. Law occasionally paused his reading to ask a question about the program you were watching.

The pins and needles sensation in your right hand roused you while the soft glow of the idle Netflix display lit the living room. It took a few moments for your sleep hazed mind to realize you were still somewhat upright and instead of being nuzzled into the couch cushions, you were resting against your fiance's side. You took the opportunity to admire the juxtaposition of the sharp angles of his face and his soft expression. In the few months you'd been cohabitating you had never seen him look so peaceful. His lips parted slightly as he sighed. For some reason that flustered you and you decided you had to move.

Stretching you shifted carefully trying not to wake him. He rarely slept through the night. You just needed to slip away and tuck him in to stay the night on the sofa.

But when you moved his arm tightened around you.

Crap.
Suddenly it was too warm and you were trapped.
You were going to have to wake him.

"Law…" you whispered, placing your left hand on his chest.

He hummed and shifted a little, not enough to free you.

"It's time for bed." you murmured gently patting him, "You can't sleep out here."
"No." he murmured softly.
"No, what?" you half chuckled, "c'mon, let's get up. Or at least let me go so I can go to my room."

His eyes fluttered open as a deep frown bent his lips.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to wake you up." Finally you were able to move out of his hold.
"It's fine." he ran his hands over his face attempting to be conscious enough to stand while you got to your feet and turned off the TV.
"Well…have sweet dreams." As you turned to make your exit his fingers caught yours.
"F/N, stay in my room tonight…please?"