4

A grin spread across the freckled man's face as he met your shocked gaze.

"No way, F/N what are you doing here?!" he stepped further into the house, "wait...what are you doing here?"

The woman accompanying him shyly gripped his coat and hid. You imagined she was embarrassed from getting caught sneaking around. She was petite but curvy with a flawless tan complexion. You actually felt she complimented Ace perfectly.

"I'm not sure of that myself." You replied pushing yourself away from the counter.
"We're just here talking, yoi." Marco added.
"Seems like sneaking around." the raven accused.

You snorted shaking your head.

"Look who's talking," Marco muttered.
"Hey! At least I'm with my match." Ace gestured toward the empty space next to him.

Whirling around he found her huddled against his back.

"By the way, this is Al, my fiancé." he tugged her forward, "This is F/N and well, you know Marco."

Brushing her dark brown hair from her face and raising her chestnut gaze, a small smile ghosting her heart-shaped lips, she reached for your hand.

"They talk about you a lot."
"All good things I'm sure," you smirked shaking her hand, "this really isn't whatever it looks like. Nice to meet you and sorry for ruining your plans Freckles. I gotta get outta here."
"Wait!" Marco called following you to the back door, "we weren't done talking."
"Weren't we?" you snorted turning, "this is none of my business."
"Why'd you even come, yoi?" he took you by the wrist, the pleading look on his face was damn near soul-crushing.
"Because... I'm weak and stupid." you pried his fingers away and swung the door open.

"Stupid stupid stupid," you muttered throwing yourself into the car and quickly turning the ignition.

Marco remained at the back-door arms crossed over his chest, watching you peel out of the gravel circle drive. What the hell did you think was going to happen? After all this time had passed you'd finally made two steps forward only to immediately take five steps back. To top it with having Ace walk in on you, even though nothing was happening, given your history it couldn't have looked right.

F/N, you colossal idiot.

A relieved sigh left your lips as you pulled into the parking garage to find Law's car still gone from its assigned place. You just wanted to head upstairs and go to bed.

It was just after 5 AM when you crawled back into your blankets still wearing the shirt you'd left the house in. Just as you got settled your phone went off on the nightstand.

MN: please pick a time when we can continue this conversation.

Me: there is no time. Talk to your brothers about this.
Me: I just can't do it.

MN: they think I should just go with it. its a lot of red tape to get through for a divorce.
MN: but proving infidelity would give me a strong case

Me: you know when that kid comes out with your pineapple head you're gonna feel real bad about all of this

MN: you're not funny

Me: I'm not trying to be
Me: now if you'll excuse me I have a previous engagement with my pillows

MN: good night

What a frustrating man. The only thing you could do was prove his infidelity, had he forgotten about that? You certainly hadn't. Your mind drifted to the last night you'd spent with Marco, thrown over your desk in one last fit of passion. His desperate kisses, the way he said your name, the tingling heat of his touch on bare skin, it made your insides squeeze.

Before you could act on any memory fueled naughty thoughts a quick knock rattled your bedroom door.

"F/N-ya," Law called softly, "May I come in?"

"Uh, yeah it's open." You sat up.

The door slowly opened, immediately you noticed his shirt – it was a light blue with a bunny in an anime style on the front. Your gaze trailed up to his face, exhausted circles lined his eyes as usual but this time darker calling attention to how red and irritated they looked.

Had he been crying?

Surely it was just a side effect of being sleep deprived, he'd just worked a twenty-hour hour shift after all. Law quietly stepped into the room and took a seat at the foot of your bed.

"You weren't wearing that yesterday, were you? I think I'd remember if you were walking around in that otaku shirt." you tried to joke feeling some tension begin to mount.

"I had to borrow it from a co-worker." he replied tugging at the material, "A bad accident came through the emergency room and they bled through my scrubs."

"We should soak them."

"I threw them away." he ran both hands over his face lying back on your bed.

Sitting forward and crossing your legs you reached forward and gently combed through his hair.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"There are a lot of things I'm prepared for," he spoke into his palms, "this ... this kid had been ejected through the windshield. I don't normally do pediatrics, but you know, we were short staffed and so many people were involved it was sort of an 'all-hands-on-deck' situation."

Listening to the stress in his voice as he kept his face covered you continued to stroke his messy hair hoping that somehow would bring him some comfort.

"She was a mess, it was hard to tell what was missing if anything," He paused, "and so much time had already passed." 

You had a feeling you knew where this was going and scooted down to lie beside him. He remained quiet listening to you shift in the bed.

There was a reason he didn't work in the children's wing of the hospital, unbeknownst to you. This poor girl's injuries were mostly preventable, and her parents would get to live with the guilt of not making sure she was buckled into her seat. It just didn't seem fair that she had to pay for it and that pissed him off.

Finally, his hands slipped away from his tired seemingly emotionless face, silver eyes swayed in your direction before he rolled into your side. It was normal to seek comfort in your partner, right?

You stiffly moved to accommodate him in your arms.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Let's just try to sleep." you rubbed soothing circles over his back.

Law's arms coiled around you as he buried his face in your shoulder and sighed.

Something was off.

This scent lingering on your shirt and hair, it was familiar, but he knew it wasn't yours.

"F/N, where have you been?"