THIRTY

A bit of a shorter chapter, but it needs to be, sorry.

Thank you for reading!

Kayli's POV

***

This was by far the worst mission the Academy had ever given me.

It wasn't just the fact that I had spent over a year trying to take this guy down. It wasn't even the fact that I had to go deep undercover, which I always hated.

No, the worst part was that Wil could have no contact with me whatsoever. I knew that the only way he would truly ever cut me out of his life for such a long time would be if his "brothers" told him to.

Pretending to be a bitch came naturally. We all have a mean streak in us and I had no trouble bringing my mean out. It didn't take long before Wil wasn't allowed to be around me any longer.

There was only one bridge I didn't burn before going undercover. I just cut all tied and ghosted her.

Sang was like a sister to me, but I knew she wouldn't reach out on her own. In our relationship, I always went to visit her, never the other way around. And then I just stopped. It was easier than ruining our friendship. But I'm even more grateful now for that friendship.

I need Sang to trust me right now. To believe me when I tell her the truth.

She stirs in her sleep in the corner of the dark room. I flick on the light switch as I enter and take a seat. As I wait for her to finish waking up, I take a moment to organize my thoughts and what I am going to say.

"Wh-Where am I?" Sang calls weakly, her eyes still closed as she sits up slightly.

Her hair is red for some reason and mussed. Her dress is hiked up to her thighs and she is missing a shoe.

"Gee, Sang, you don't look too good," I remark, taking a seat at a small, rusted table.

"Kayli? Is that you?" Sang stutters, a look of confusion coming over her face.

"Yes, but you can't call me that," I tell her quickly and quietly. "Call me Volto if you need to call me anything at all."

"Volto? Like the mask?" She guesses, pressing a finger to her lips unconsciously.

"Exactly. I'm undercover right now, Sang," I inform her.

I try to speak to her as gently as possible without making it seem as if I am patronizing her.

"Undercover? Do you work for the Academy too?" Sang courts before clamping a hand on her own mouth, her eyes wide.

As strange as it may sound, I missed Sang's eyes. They were so unusual and beautiful. Like shifting galaxies lived in her eyes. I can't see them very well, though, with this flickering and dim light.

"It's okay, Sang. I'm in on the secret. Yes, I work for the Academy as well. My job right now is a little different than the team protecting you," I tell her, barely able to hold back from rolling my eyes. "Instead of playing around with some girl, I'm spending my life undercover in this cesspool."

"We're at a casino?" Sang says, completely confused.

I nearly laugh out loud at her words. I had nearly forgotten about that. When the two of us were younger, her father would sometimes go to a casino to meet with potential clients and whatnot. However, he never wanted to explain to Sang what a casino was. I told her it was a cesspool.

"What's another word for casino?" I tease her, remembering that time.

"Cesspool!" She calls, grinning widely.

I smile back at her before answering seriously, "No, Sang. We are somewhere much, much worse."

"So you aren't a prisoner too?" Sang asks, making the guilt even worse.

I didn't want to take Sang, and certainly not like this. But he forced my hand.

"Sang, I need you to listen for a moment and trust me. If we work together, we can both get out of here and bring down a very bad man," I tell her seriously instead of answering the question.

Sang nods bravely, pressing her lips together.

"I told you I was undercover, taking this guy down. He is obsessed with you and has been sending letters and disgusting things to you. Have you gotten these, or have your bodyguards kept them from you?"

"A bit of both," Admits Sang. "I got a couple from V—you, I guess. I didn't really read them, though, sorry."

"That's alright, Sang. You're doing just fine. I was ordered to bring you in finally. This was a direct order and I only took you because it would've blown over a year's worth of work to refuse. Now that you're here, though, we have the opportunity to bring this guy down. But only if you are willing to risk being near him."

"He sent me gifts," Sang says, thinking aloud. "He doesn't want to hurt me, does he?"

"No," I answer softly, even though she already knows the answer.

"Okay," Sang decides with a brave determination. "I'll help you, Kayli."

I give her a small smile.

"Okay, here's the plan," I begin.

***

We went over the plan several times, making sure Sang understood everything. It's a pretty simple plan, though, and she understood quickly.

I am tense, worried. I don't like this.

The plan, as simple as it is, is a dangerous plan. I don't want Sang to be put into any danger. This is my mission, but I don't see how I can complete the mission and keep her safe at the same time any other way. This might not be the best plan, but it is the only plan that will work.

Checking my watch, I look to Sang.

"It's time," I tell her. "Let's go."