NINETEEN

I scurry to where I feel the air coming from, an air conditioner in the corner of the place. I press my back into the corner and grip my gun as the countdown begins. Carefully, I use all my senses and try to figure out where everyone is. The air conditioner helped me find a secure corner to control, but it also means that I can't smell anyone. However, I can hear them as they rush about, trying to find their own shelter. Several of them collide with the walls that seem to be strewn haphazardly everywhere.

The countdown alerts me that I only have thirty seconds left. Quickly, I reach out with my free hand and try to get a sense of what walls are where. There are a few sections in front of me with openings that will be perfect to duck behind.

The place is set up so that we don't need to go anywhere to reload or gain lives, we only have three lives and unlimited ammo.

Ten...

One of them moves to my right.

Nine...

A gun falls to the ground.

Eight...

The smell of vanilla and sugar silently draws near.

Seven...

Gabriel mutters violently about spiders.

Six...

I slow my breathing and listen even more carefully.

Five...

I sharpen my focus and adjust the grip on my gun.

Four...

Silence reigns.

Three...

I am able to pick up breathing on the other side of one of the walls.

Two...

I silently creep forward to right behind them.

One...

I hold my breath and creep closer until my gun is right next to them.

GO!

I squeeze the trigger and quickly fire off three shots before they have time to respond.

"Dang it!" Marc yells. "Who got me out?!"

Grinning to myself, I slip away from him unnoticed and retreat back to the wall. Luke's scent is gone, but I am confident there is still someone to the right not too far away. I wait patiently against the wall as I hear someone dart near, clearly trying to get to the corner.

The second I can smell Nathan, I squeeze the trigger until I hear his life counter beep, announcing that he is out.

I crouch down in my corner, making myself as small of a target as possible.

I hear counters beep and the electronic sounds of shots being fired. Some times, they are fired in bursts like how I did. Other times, they are fired off once, very carefully. Listening, I am able to discern that there are four people who have gotten out so far, including Marc and Nathan.

Four down, twelve to go.

Honestly, I could just wait here and get the last one standing, but what's the fun in that?

My grin somehow manages to grow as I formulate a plan. I will secure this corner and make my way forward, taking them out as I go until the entire room is mine.

Still crouching, I creep forward soundlessly until I am right in front of someone. Kota, judging by the aroma of spices.

I squeeze the trigger and dart to the side as Kota opens fire, blindly trying to hit me. I didn't need to move, though. The gun was pointed too high to hit me at all.

Slipping away, I go around to the other side of the wall they are pressed against and fire off another two shots.

The beep of his empty life is music to my ears.

Kota drops his gun down so it dangles from his vest as he trudges out.

I turn to my left and cock my head to listen closely.

Someone, breathing quietly, is hidden away a few yards from me. They are still and almost silent. I barely even noticed Corey, he did such a good job of smartly concealing himself.

I love forward, rolling my feet to hide the noise. I know that any noise at all will be detected in the silence. Mutely, I am able to get right in front of the blinded Corey. I hold my gun right up to his vest and fire thrice as I use my other hand to keep his gun from pointing anywhere near me.

Suddenly, two other vests chime, signalling their empty life count.

Eight down, eight to go.

As Corey and the other two remove their blindfolds and shuffle out, I use the opportunity to rush forward, using their noise to mask my quicker movements. I press onward until I come across a clump of them. Victor, Brandon, Wil, and Sean are all standing together.

My eyebrows drop into a slight scowl. I thought for sure they had said no teams. I shrug, deciding to let it go. I probably should've expected them to form a team anyway.

I slip my finger onto the trigger and slowly raise my gun. I take them out quickly. First Brandon, then Sean, then Victor, and I take Wil out last.

My concentration and focus sharpen with anticipation as I hear two more of the boys get out.

Now there are only two more in here with me. Two more boys separating me from my glorious victory.

I drop my gun so it hangs from my best and tip my head back. Inhaling deeply, I put all my concentration into discerning who the two are. The air conditioner and the space make it more difficult than it normally would be. Finally, I figure out that the last two are Luke and Kevin. Judging by the small noises they make as they blindly travel, the two of them are on their way to each other, but I don't think they are working together.

Smirking, I decide to play it safe and smart. I backtrack to the corner furthest from the two and wait. Sure enough, one of the two is out within in a minute.

Changing tactics, I figure go big or go home. I sprint forward and fire off shots as soon as I can smell Luke. It doesn't take long before his vest beeps, announcing his loss.

I let out a victorious whoop, dropping my gun and cheering happily.

***

Sorry this update took so long. I was gone for a while and then got sick, which is also why this chapter is shorter than I would've liked.

Thank you all for reading and your patience!

Jade