TWENTY-THREE

Thank you all for your patience! I'm finally back and ready to update more!

Enjoy!

"So you guys are stuck with me, huh?" I tease, smiling at where I'm pretty sure Wil and Corey are

"I wouldn't call it stuck..." Corey replies playfully and Wil adds, "It's our job to keep you safe. You need to have two of us with you at all times. However, it's not just a job to us. That's why we like to be around you so often."

Blushing slightly, I ask, "So what are we going to do?"

"Well, we'll be staying in today. It's easier to keep an eye out for danger," Wil explains.

I nod, understanding. This must've been what Sean meant when he said that it would be a chill day.

"But we don't want to lie around bored all day either," Corey continues. "So... ideas?"

"We already know Sang is amazing with computers," Wil supplies.

"Amazing?!" Corey bursts out. "She's more than amazing! She hacked—"

"Right?!" Wil exclaims, cutting him off as my blush grows. "I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw!"

Corey adds, "And the codes she used! We'll have to look into those."

"Alright!" I break in, blushing furiously. "I have an idea. Could I listen to an audiobook?"

"Sure, Sang," Wil agrees warmly. "Would my tablet work? I have a few audiobooks."

I sit down on the couch as Wil rattles off the titles until I stop him at a familiar name. Soon, a pleasant voice fills the air and I lean back and listen intently as I lose myself in the story. It's the closest I've ever been to reading, but I imagine reading to be the same as listening to the audiobook.

We sit in a comfortable quiet for a while as we listen to the book. After a while, Corey grabs his laptop saying that he needs to finish up something real quick.

It may seem boring, but it was actually really nice. I was just so overwhelmed earlier that this calming time is very helpful.

Eventually, though, I do get bored of just sitting there.

"Can I go outside?" I ask, pausing the audiobook.

"Sure," Wil agrees and Corey adds, "Just be sure to stay with us. We can all go out."

"You don't mind?" I say, my fingers fluttering to my throat.

I certainly don't want to make them go outside if they don't want to.

"Nope," Corey chirps happily. "I was getting tired of being stuck in here anyway."

Wil breaks in with a confused tone, saying to Corey, "What? You nev—"

There is the sound of Corey whacking the back of Wil's head and my eyes go wide with shock. Did Corey just... hit Wil?

"I'll grab your shoes," Wil declares.

I furrow my brow in confusion, not understanding the exchange between the two. I mentally shrug it off, deciding that it must be a guy thing or something. It certainly isn't a Sang thing.

Wil and Corey leave to get things ready and I turn the tablet off and walk to the bedroom I am staying in to grab a pair of socks. I feel through the drawers until I finally find the one that holds the socks and pull out a pair of thin socks that feel amazingly soft. Tugging my socks on, I sit up on the bed and run my hands through my hair and pile it into a messy bun. If I am going to go for a walk, I don't want my hair getting everywhere. I'm sure Gabriel would approve of my choice. After all, sticking my hair in a bun like this will prevent it from getting messy.

A gentle knock at the door draws my attention.

"Come in," I call softly.

The door opens to allow Wil's scent to waft through the door and I smile in the direction I am sure he is.

"Here are your shoes," Wil tells me, lifting my hands to place my running shoes in them.

I close my hands around the shoes and quickly pull them on before feeling around for the laces to tie them. Wil sits down next to me and I feel the bed sink under his weight as he ties his own shoes. Soon, I am hopping up and heading for the door with Wil in tow.

"Corey!" I call through the house. "You ready? Wil and I are going to wait by the door!"

Together, we thunder down the stairs and stand next to the front door. It doesn't take long before we can hear Corey's footsteps racing down the stairs.

"All right, I'm ready and I informed Kota that we were going for a walk just in case," Corey informs us.

"And everyone is alright?" I confirm, using my finger to push my lips between my teeth.

"Perfectly, fine," Corey assures me, his voice understanding and soothing without being patronizing.

Sighing, I rub my eyes and mumble, "Can't you please just tell me what they are doing?"

"Look, Sang, you know we can't tell you," Wil replies with a matching sigh. "We would if we could, believe us. And it isn't our decision to go out on missions while we are supposed to be protecting you. We're the best team in the Academy and our skills are needed."

The way he claims to be the best is somewhat comforting. I know he's telling the truth because of the way he said it, but I still worry.

"I know," I stutter. "And I'm sorry for nagging and worrying so much."

"Don't be sorry," Corey commands. "Worrying like this shows that you care, Sang. And we appreciate your care."

I smile slightly at his words and duck my head.

"Let's head out already," Wil declares, kindly changing the subject.

I follow Wil out the door and Corey brings up the rear. The house is surrounded by woods on three sides and I can hear the birds chirping and the animals rustling. It takes all my self control not to take off at a run into the forest, but I know that Corey and Wil are here for my protection and I need to stick with them.

A noise from my right draws my attention and I grab Corey and Wil's hands before taking off toward it.

"Shh!" I hiss when Wil starts to speak.

I tug on their hands to get them to slow down as we approach the tree that the animal stopped at.

"Is that a skunk?!"