Ch15

Bryn'n POV

I sat on the metal bench outside the police station waiting for Jack to get California out. Nervously, I picked at my nails wanting her to be okay with everything that happened earlier.

"Where is she?" I shot up once Jack started walking my way.

"Let's go." He kept walking towards the parking lot.

"Jack!" I yelled remaining where I was.

"What?" He turned to me impatiently playing with the hem of his shirt.

"Where's California.." I slowed my words.

"They won't release her to me, I'm not fucking eighteen yet." He smacked his arms down on his sides.

"Jack,"

"No it's fine, I'll just call her mom so she can-"

"No jack, you can't do that." I stepped closer to him.

"And why is that? That's her mother were talking about, she could be in danger!" Jack somehow managed to make me feel guilty.

"Don't yell at me." My voice wavered as I stared down at the asphalt.

"Look I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you want from me." Jack shook his head nonchalantly.

"I think we both know what I want you to do." I finally looked up at him pointing towards his pocket.

"There's no way in hell I'm calling that asshole." He shook his head as if I was joking.

Cali's POV

"Thanks for the ride," I sighed at Sam.

"It's no problem." He shrugged fixing his seatbelt.

"Well... I'll see you." I sped walk up my driveway.

Reluctantly he pulled away no questions asked.

"I'm home." I whispered to myself setting my jacket down on the side table entering the front living room.

"Cali," Jack stood up from the couch swallowing hard.

"Look- I don't care." I shook my head staring at the ground.

"What about us?" He croaked.

"Jack- there is no us. I can't trust you, let alone do I have the patience to even try and pursue a relationship. Just do you, don't worry about me." I pushed past him walking up the steps.

"Take care." I looked back once more leaning over the handrail.

It took everything in me not to break down in front of him, the expression on his face told it all and I bit my lip to keep from crying.

Once I finally stumbled into my room I let the tears fall that threatened before. But it wasn't like I was crying, it was as if my eyes were leaking. I felt content with my decision and stuck with it. My heart longed to be happy, and I think that meant letting go of Jack.

-

"Cali?" Bryn lightly knocked on my door.

"Yeah?" I sat up pushing my hair out of my face.

"You okay?" She slowly made her way over to where I was.

"I'll be okay." I nodded my head not only reassuring her, but myself.

"Maybe you should hang out with some friends." She suggested finally sitting down next to me.

"Yeah, you're right." I agreed placing my hands in my lap.