Ch9 | spike

"You're not talking, again." Jack looked over at me, resting his hand on top of mine.

"I just don't get you, why didn't you tell me about the music? Are we back to keeping secrets?" I asked instantly feeling guilty.

"Because it's nothing, California. I recorded one song. And what about you? You haven't told me anything about New York." The car came to a stop, a lump growing in my throat.

"You never asked,"

"Bullshit California." He exhaustedly laughed.

I stayed quiet feeling attacked.

"New York is okay, I guess." I shrugged picking at my pale blue nail polish.

"Just okay?"

"I've only really been around the dorms, so yeah." I looked straight ahead watching the sun hide behind the dark charcoal clouds.

"It's going to rain," Jack mumbled over the Ed song playing on the radio.

"Not for awhile." I studied the cloud coverage.

"Whatever you say, Missy Fields." Jack laughed, comparing me to one of Omaha's terrible news anchors.

"That's not funny," I frowned, thinking of all the broadcasts she said it would rain but never did.

"I'm kidding, I don't think you could ever be as awful as her." He kissed my jaw, leaning over the console.

"Where are we going?" I asked, changing the station once the song was over.

"I really don't know," He laughed.

"Great, I love getting lost." I smiled over at him, most of the tension dismissed.

"Don't be sarcastic." He beamed pulled into a mall's parking lot.

I met Jack at the back of his Jeep taking his hand in mine before walking towards the main entrance.

We grabbed smoothies and continued to rummage through the small little shops lining the one side.

"Can we go in?" I yanked on Jack's arm like a child.

"No, no, no." He laughed trying to pull me past the store.

"Please," I begged, pouting.

He just continued to shake his head sipping from his blended mango drink.

"Looks like someone is going to be sexually frustrated for the rest of the week," I gave up, walking past the store before browsing through a magazine I picked up.

Without hesitation, Jack had dragged me back towards the small store filled with small creatures roaming in the pens at the front of the store.

I laughed up at him before looking down at the puppies.

"Oh my god," I gaped at the size of some of them, they were so tiny.

"Have you never seen a dog before?" Jack laughed guiding me towards one of the pens.

"I had one when I was younger, but he died when I was like four. He was my moms in college." I looked up at Jack standing behind me, holding my hips.

"Plus he was like six feet tall compared to me," I laughed, remembering the pictures of us together.

"Would you like to hold one?" A woman dressing in a blue polo and khakis asked us.

"No, I don't think that will be necessary." I kindly smiled at her.

"That would be wonderful," Jack talked over me, the woman ignoring my statement.

"Which one?" She smiled at me, Jack's actions making me slightly blush.