One

Jimin’s POV

“Get up.” I sat up quickly, covering my body with the covers. A random guard stood there, face cold. “Your father, the king wants you.” He said harshly before walking out. No bow of respect, no honorifics for me.

I am a part of the royal family, yet even the slaves in the castle hold no respect for me.

Why?

Powerless.

I hold no ability of my own.

My father did not want me to be heir. But I was the first born son, and the law stated that the first born had to be king. So when I was ten I was ‘killed’, forced to become a princess, one my parents had hidden because I possessed no abilities.

Jiiimmmiiiinnnn!” I smiled softly as my younger brother, Jungkook, entered the room.

“Kookie.”

“Hyu—Noona, father wants to see you.”

“I’ve been told.” I slid out of the bed and went to my dresser, taking out a dress.

I was given no maids to help me dress for obvious reasons. The only people to know that I was male was my family.

If anyone else were to find out they’d be killed immediately.

Me?

Well, the last time I’d been whipped.

I dressed as quickly as I could, grabbing a hair clip and pushing my short hair back.

A princess with short hair?

Another punishment. Princess’s were supposed to have long, flowing locks. Beautiful hair to braid, curl, anything. I was to keep mine short.

It was long enough to cover a bit of my eyes if I let it down, but I was always to wear it back, as it would be questionable if I didn’t. I looked a little too masculine leaving my hair down to be a princess.

After I was done, Jungkook wrapped his arm in mine and we walked down the halls.

Jungkook, the only one who treated me nicely, who liked me.

He was a shapeshifter. Very strong, too.

I entered my father’s study and curtsied, my brother, bowing.

“Father.” I said lightly, looking up at him slowly.

“Jimin.” He said flatly, no emotion present in his voice.

“You called for me, father?”

“Yes.” He turned to a man, who I hadn’t noticed before. I too, turned to him. “This is Kim Namjoon. He will be your personal guard as of today, seeing as your other one has...recently deceased.”

“Of course, father.”

“Kim, this is the princess Jimin.”

“Your highness.” He bowed to me.

He actually bowed to me. And addressed me with a title. Jungkook gasped a little in surprise. It didn’t happen often, and no one really cared if I wasn’t addressed formally.

It made a spark of happiness run through me.

“Namjoon is an elemental. He can control...water was it?”

“Air.”

“Air. He can control air.” Father said. “He’ll stay by you at all times.”

I nodded.

We were all dismissed and Jungkook dragged me down to the hall.

“Jungkook-ssi!” I whined, feeling my toes cramp in the horribly small shoes I had to wear.

“Jimin-ssi!” He teased back.

“Yah!” I smacked the back of his head as he giggled. He finally slowed down and I gasped, trying to catch my breath. “You brat! Why did we practically run all the way to the gardens?!”

“Duh! So we could loose the—“ Jungkook frowned, eyeing something behind me. I turned.

“Namjoon!” I said, smiling. His face remained carefully neutral.

“Oppa!” A voice called. Jungkook turned, a smile gracing his face once again. I saw Lisa waving from across the garden.

This time I frowned, but Jungkook was already on his way towards our cousin before I could tell him to stay away.

Lisa was a particularly nasty one to me.

I sighed and sat on the nearest bench, just enjoying the fresh air. “Namjoon, sit.” I finally said.

He sat beside me. “How old are you?”

“Twenty three.”

“Ah, then Oppa?” I asked, with a small smile.

I smiled even wider when I saw a hint of one from him. But it was gone almost as fast as it had appeared.

“Whatever you wish to address me by, your highness.”

“Please, just call me Jimin. No one else uses titles anyway.” Namjoon nodded.

“You are not respected in such a way? You are royalty.”

“I am the weak princess with no ability.” I said a little bitterly. “I hold no respect to anyone here.”

“But you are still royalty. The eldest?”

“My father does not care, therefore nobody else cares.” I shrugged. “It was honestly a surprise to Kookie and I when you addressed me with such esteem. Usually it is just Jimin or something else.”

“Worse?”

“Much worse.” I smiled a little sadly. “I am glad you are nice, Oppa. Not many are.”

“We will be spending quite some time together, it seems. I would rather you like me than not.”

“Most people don’t care whether I like them or not. But I do like you, Oppa. You are very nice. Shall we be friends?”

“I would like that.” He nodded.

“Mm!” I clapped happily. “I’ve made my first friend!”

He blinked a little, surprised. “I’m your first friend?”

“The very first! I’m so happy right now, thank you, Oppa!”

“Minnie!” I looked over at Jungkook, who was waving at me. “Lisa wanted to invite you to the pond with us and a few others. Won’t you join us?”

“U-um…” he laughed a little awkwardly. “Of course, I would be glad to.”