3. Decisions

{ Decisions }

I continued staring at the magazine with my baby's father in it. I knew I wasn’t mistaking, he was the one. What I didn’t expect was for him to be someone important and known. I just thought he was a random guy that’s all.

I blinked my eyes a couple of times and turned back to Sammy who was staring at me with worry. I guess she figure it out too. Without a word to me, she quickly asked for our bill. The next thing I knew, we were at in front of our apartment. Sammy opened the door and lightly shoved me in and made me take a seat. I was just in complete shock. Here I was thinking I would never know who my baby’s father was and now-as if it were some miracle- I find out his name is Alexandro Giovanni or something like that.

“It’s him, “I whisper staring at the ground in front of me.

“Are you sure, ‘cause he did look familiar but it could have been a coincidence….” It was not a coincidence. I recognize those eyes; no one has eyes like that. I know it’s him. “It’s him, Sammy. I know it is, I just do…,” I look at her. She sighs and nods her head. We both stay quiet until she some noise and disappears into her room. Moments later, she comes back with her laptop.

“Okay, here’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to look up this Alexandro Giovanni guy and find out some more about him. ‘Cause I don’t know about you, but I’ve never heard of your baby daddy before.” I mumble an ‘okay’ as she gets into the internet. She quickly types in his name and we wait for the loading to complete.

Many different website links appear and we sit there not sure which one to pick. I keep looking carefully until a website grabs my attention. I tell Sammy to click on it. It takes us to a ‘Giovanni Industries' home page. A picture of Alexandro appears with him sitting behind a desk looking important.

“Giovanni Industries is one of America’s and Europe’s leading industry for high class hotels, casinos, resorts, and clubs. Founded in 1945 by Antonio Giovanni and Italian immigrant, the business is said to be worth billions of dollars. The main office is located in Manhattan, New York and a second one in Valden, Italy. However, small offices could be found across the US and Europe in which the hotels and casinos, etc. are located…...The company is currently run by CEO Alexandro Giovanni, Mr. Antonio’s great grandson. It was handed down to him on his 23 birthday after his father suffered an attack and could no longer look after it. This has made Alexandro one of the wealthiest bachelors both in the US and in Europe…..” Sammy read the article in the website.

“This just makes things worse,” I said closing the laptop, not wanting to read anymore.

“What? How does this make things worse? You’re pregnant with some Italian billionaire’s baby, Marie. He could help out with the baby.” I honestly didn’t care if he had money, the thing was that if he is this really rich guy, he might think I made this up to get money.

“Exactly, Sammy! Because he’s practically shitting money, he’s going to think I’m lying about being pregnant with his child and all I want is money,” I said agitated. She opened her mouth in a ‘O’ shape realizing what I said was true. “What should I do, Sammy? Should I confront him about it or should just keep quiet and raise the baby on my own?”

“I think you should do whatever you think is the right thing. Either way, you have me here to help and support you in anything you or the baby will need. Why don’t you take sometime and think about.” She had a point. It was my decision and I will do whatever I thought was best. What was best, though?

“Yeah, okay. I’m gonna go finish some school work I have. I’ll talk to you later.” I stood up from the couch and headed to my room. I will choose whether to tell him or keep quiet, but whatever I decide on, I just hope is the right choice.

♔ One Week Later ♔

The sound of me throwing up just made me want to throw up even more. Everything I eat seemed to just be coming back out. I hated this so bad! Why call it morning sickness? Why not every-freaking-passing-hour-of-the-day sickness?! I started getting like this the day after finding out I was pregnant and it’s been non-stop ever since.

After dry heaving and nothing coming out, I steady myself up and walked over to the sink. I rinsed my mouth out and adjusted my uniform. Taking a look in the mirror and deeming myself presentable, I headed back out to take some more orders from the awaiting customers. It had been a week since I found out who my baby’s father is and I still haven’t made my mind up as to what I should do. Part of me knows what, but the other still thinks that it’s a bad idea.

There’s times when I stay up at night just thinking about the different outcomes and how they will affect me and my unborn child. All this has just been stressing me out too much and the lack of sleep doesn’t help either. I seem a lot more tired now a days and I just want to collapse and sleep. That’s exactly what I want to do right at this moment, but it’s Friday meaning more customers to serve.

“Hey, honey...how are you feeling?” Kelly the cafe’s owner asked. She was a nice lady around her mid-fifties. I told her a couple of days ago about me being pregnant when she caught me throwing up in the bathroom. “I’m okay, Kelly. Just a little tired, but I’ll be fine,” I reply taking out my notepad and pen, ready to take an order.

“Why, don’t you go on and go home. Get some rest, it’s been a long day for you. I’ll make sure Charlie takes your tables.” I was about to protest and let her know that it was unnecessary, but stopped myself when she gave me a look daring me to go against her. So instead I just nodded and headed to the back to get my things.

After saying goodbye to everyone I headed out the little cafe and made my way to my car. As I was reaching it, I heard a giggle come from behind me. Turning around I saw a little girl around three playing chase with her father as the mom watched them with a smile. Staring at them made me smile and put a hand over my still flat stomach. The family eventually left and I kept watching after them as they walked away. At that moment I knew what I wanted to do. Quickly getting into my car, I drove back to the apartment to tell Sammy what I decided on.

I turned off the car and stepped out. I hurried up to the apartment and opened it calling out for my best friend.

“What?” She yelled stepping out of the restroom with a towel wrapped around her. I set my purse down and gave her a huge smile. She raised her eyebrow and walked towards me.

“I know what I want to do.” She motioned for me to go on so I did, “ I want to tell him. I want to tell Alexandro about the baby.”

She looked taken back a little about my decision, “ Are you sure about this, Marie?”

“Yes I’m sure. I’ve been thinking about it and I want my child to know who her or his father is. Plus, I think Alexandro has the right to know.” With all honesty, I didn’t want my child to grow up not knowing who his or her father was. I didn’t want them to go through what I did.

“Okay, when are you doing this?” She sighed.

“I’m driving up to New York tomorrow and I’ll tell him then.” Tomorrow, Alexandro Giovanni, will know that I, Marie Williams, am pregnant with his child.