Prologue

Prologue

I don't know my biological parents. They put me up for adoption as soon as I was born. I'm not sure why. I guess they just didn't want me, but whatever. I got over the fact that I was unwanted a long time ago. I haven't looked for them because I didn't see a point. I don't try to imagine them because I don't have any need to think about them. I just stick to what I know. For example, I know people think I have no soul because I'm a ginger. I know my eyes are mixed up, not deciding what colour they want to be. I know my adoptive parents are kind and generous. I know my adoptive brother is an idiot, but cares on the inside. Oh and I know I'm a werecat.
If you don't know what a werecat is let me explain. A werecat is a shifter, like a werewolf, that can shift from human to cat. Some werecats are more powerful than others. When I say 'powerful' I mean some werecats can only shift into a single cat form and others can shift into a lot of different kinds of cats. I'm the kind of werecat that can shift into many of different kinds. Regular house cat, puma, tiger, kitten, cub, and panther. Out of everything I can shift to, my puma is my favourite.
I'd like to better describe myself. My name is Justine Zayz Stone. I'm 5'9" and I weigh 127 pounds. I'm seventeen. I have long wavy hair with a sweeping bang that hangs over half of my right eye. My body is thin and graceful like a cat. I'm an expert at gymnastics. I also do yoga and I'm a black belt in karate and taekwondo.
My parents adopted me at 5 days. Eventually I realized I was adopted because they look nothing like me. My mom has blue eyes, blond hair and has very defined curves. My dad has brown hair, brown eyes and has an average body type. My brother, Jason, has deep blue eyes, dark brown hair, striking features and defined muscles. He is an eighteen year old jock. Jason recently got a dog named Doe and I have a cat named Jasper. Me and Doe don't get along very well seeing as I'm a cat. She growls at me sometimes and I hiss at her. Life goes on.
I first shifted on my sixteenth birthday.

My parents were out of town on business. My brother was in the other room playing xbox, as usual, with his headphones on and the volume to the max. He wouldn't know the house was on fire until the power died. I sighed. He forgot my birthday for the first time since I was six. Oh well, I'll have more fun in getting revenge than him wishing me a happy birthday, I told myself. I laugh to myself, plotting how his new Jordans would be murdered. Suddenly I started shaking. I fell to my bedroom floor and heard a quick snap. I screamed in absolute pain. Every bone in my body was cracking at the same time and what made it worse I didn't know what was happening to me. I'm dying, I thought to myself. This is it. This is how it ends. The tears streaming down my face were uncontrollable. The pain was endless. I crouched into a ball at the end of my bed and sealed my eyes, preparing for the end. Then the pain just suddenly stopped. I didn't know what to do. At first I thought I was dead, but the breath coming out of my mouth told me otherwise. I slowly opened my eyes, searching for any signs of attempted assassins for any explanation of the pain I just endured. When I realized I was alone, I went to move to sit up, but something was different. It's my body! It's completely shattered, I thought freaking out. I finally looked down at my body to see the damage. I forgot how to breathe for a minute and my eyes must've been the size of golf balls. I'm a ....huge black puma?! How?! WTF! I can't even...what? How the hell did this happen? I go to scream, but it won't come out right which scares me even more. But, as much as I'm trying to be scared, I'm so amazed by this. Things like this don't happen in real life, only in one of the many books in my library. I'm fangirling over myself. I can see, smell, and hear everything. It's amazing! There's something else, too. I can sense things around me, like I an tell my brother was in the room beside me although I already know. Like a sixth sense. Everything is so clear and precise.
I feel so...right, like this was how I was always supposed to be. I'm still so confused at this change, but I'm so distracted by my beautiful coat. It's like an Armani velvet suit, unbelievably beautiful and priceless. I was gazing at my gorgeous silk like fur when a very feminine voice had startled me out of my vain thoughts.