Chapter 8

The end of the day of hellish school. It's been a long bloody day. All I want to do is go home and die. All I need to do is find- hold the phone! HOLD THE PHONE!  My idiotic brother abandoned me for Football! Freaking Football! What's the point of me keeping an older brother if he isn't useful...

What am I supposed to do now? I live forever away and by the time I get home, football would be over anyways.  Doing unnecessary physical activity? Ha! Yeah, right. I'm a cat and I'd rather use my energy for anything else other than moving my own body.

'It's probably wouldn't take that much energy for a werecat to walk a few miles...' Luxy says.

'First of all, I don't care, I'm lazy. Second of all, I can't just "cat-up" and walk home in the city. Not all of the forestry is connected here so I can't just go into the woods behind the school and eventually end up at home! It's in the opposite direction all together! God I hate my brother sometimes...'

Jason knew I had plans today, too! I have a date...with the couch in the basement and the remote.

While mulling over my non-existent options, I smell the one repetitive problem in which I can't avoid.

Carter walks up to me with a confident stride, but weak eyes meet my steely glare. To anyone else it would just be the new kid walking up to "the little sister". I knew other stragglers that were still on school grounds would be looking at our interaction, especially the pack, watching out for my brother's only sister.

"Need a ride? " He says as he stops about 3 feet away. It feels much farther and every instinct in my body is pushing me closer, but I don't succumb it or him.

"No, no,  thank you. I have a ride." He looks left and right at the parking lot.

"Where?" Carter inquires. I don't miss the fact that he took the opportunity to move slightly closer to me, not that I minded.

Wait. I minded. I think. No. Yes. Will it look stupid if I move now? Will he notice? Of course he will, he intended to move closer to me...or did he? Am I over thinking this? No. Yes. No. Yes.

I shake my head to clear my brain. I loom back up at him and he's moved closer again.

"Gah!" I jump back startled by the closeness. He, for the millionth time today, looks like a wounded dog... well because I guess he is.

"Sorry for scaring you... again. You spaced out. Anyways, I can tell you need a ride, so just get in the car." Carter points to his jeep. It's tempting. Wait forever and miss my date, walk forever (snort, not even an option), or take a ride from the very man I plan to avoid for the rest of my life.

"Mommy says never to get into a strangers car even if they have candy," I say crossing my arms. "Wait. Do you have candy?"

"No-" I immediately cut him off.

"Then what incentive do I have to get into that kidnapping car? Kidnappers these days, man! They think it's easy to just convince people to get into they're cars!" I reason. Carter jumps in again.

"I was going to say 'no, but we can stop along the way, if you want'."

"Deal!"

...

What did I just say?!

***************************************

Record scratch.

Freeze frame.

Yup. That's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Well it started with me running my freaking mouth!