t h r e e

Keke's POV:

I reached the street outside of the coffee shop, and began to run. I normally try to go for runs whenever I have the day off, and this seemed like a great opportunity. I had a break today, because since I worked the late shift for that coworker the other day, she covered for me today.

I could hardly concentrate on where I was going though, with all of the thoughts swirling in my head. Rocky, Cooper, boxing, my feelings... I always found running helped clear my head, but it didn't seem to help much in this situation.

I made my way further and further downtown, and all of a suddden, I found myself overlooking the ocean. I guess I had found my way all the way to the coast. I came to a stop at the railing, and took a few minutes to catch my breath.

I looked out across the ocean. It was truly beautiful from here. The morning mist was just fading away, and the midday sun was glistening on the waves. It feels like I am all alone in my own little world. Time seems to slow, and I'm finally able to concentrate.

What're you going to do about this boxer Keke? As much as I tried to fight it, I knew Cooper was right. I was getting feelings for him. Major feelings. But I can't act on them though, I can't date a boxer. A boxer was a major part my life once, but he's no longer here. What if I get attached to Rocky, and then he's gone just like all the others?

But what if he's not...

I sigh, bringing myself back to reality, and begin to run again, no closer to solving my problems.

—————

I was a few blocks away from my apartment, when I rounded a corner and ran face first into someone.

I was spun around, and all of a sudden was in the road.

A huge truck was barreling down the road at me, and I'm was frozen in fear. I wanted to run, move, scream, anything, but I couldn't move a muscle. I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing for impact.

But, right before the truck got to me, I felt myself being pulled out of the road and into someone's arms.

I clung to them, shaking slightly. I could've died.

I finally pull myself away from the man, and am about to thank them, when I see who it is. His chocolate brown eyes meet mine, and light up with recognition. Rocky.

I quickly realize just how disgusting I must look, since I've been running for almost thirty minutes.

"We's gotta stop meeting like this." He said, with a smirk.

"Yeah. T-thanks." I stammer, feeling the all too familiar blush creeping up my cheeks. What is wrong with me? I never get flustered over a guy!

"Were you's on a run?" He asked, but I could barely concentrate. I was all too aware of his hands on my waist.

"Um y-yeah." Come on Keke get it together. "I run whenever I need to clear my head."

He raised his eyebrows in question. "What would you's need to clear your head of?" He said, pulling me slightly closer. "You's wouldn't happen to have seen a certain interview would ya?"

We were so close now that I could feel his breath on my face. He smelled good, musky and warm. Although he was slightly sweaty, it somehow made him even more attractive. "I d-don't know what y-you're talking about." I said, putting my hands on his chest to keep the distance between us from getting even smaller.

"Yeah?" His eyes searched mine, looking for the truth, but I slowly pulled away. The last thing I wanted to do was leave his arms, but I couldn't think straight while I was in them.

I was finally able to breathe as I put a few feet between us. I looked behind him, and realized he had come out of a boxing gym. "I thought you said you weren't fighting anymore?"

"Aha! So you's did watch the interview!" He said, with a smirk. "Well, I'm not fighting anymore, but I am training. Gotta keep the bod in check, ya know?" He flexed, showing off his huge biceps.

I had to fight yet another blush, and tried to convince myself that he wasn't the sexiest man I'd ever seen. I rolled my eyes to hide my true feelings, but couldn't prevent a corner of my lip from turning up in a small smile.

I began to turn away, when he grabbed my arm. Surprisingly for such a muscular man, his touch was quite gentle. "Hey, wait. I wanted to ask ya somethin." He said, releasing my arm, and rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yes?" My heart began to pound.

"Would ya wanna go out on a date with me? Like tonight or somthin?" He asked, his eyes full of hope.

My brain began to spin a million miles a minute, thousands of thoughts swirling around. "Um, well..."

"I get it." He said, his face falling. "You's can say no." He began to turn away.

"No!" I practically screamed. "No. That's not it, I've got a shift tonight, but what about tomorrow?"

His eyes lit up with excitement. "Yeah! Alright! I'll pick you's up at 6!" And with that, he began to walk away.

"Wait, how will you find my place?" I called after him.

"Oh, you's ain't gotta worry sweetheart." He said, a huge grin plastered on his face as he turned the corner, and disappeared from my sight.

And I would be lying if I said there wasn't a small grin on mine as I jogged back to my apartment.

Hi guys. I know this was a kind of short chapter, but it's an important one for background of the story, and the next chapter would be too long to combine with this one. I'm really excited for where this story is going, and I'm also very excited for this next chapter! I hope you guys are liking this book, and if you are, please leave a comment or vote! I'd really appreciate it!!

~ K