Episode 3: Relationships

It was the first day of first grade. Megane and Lyla and Dani were all in the same class. They were all strangers at first. This is the story about their complicated relationship, as well as other things.

---•---

"Good morning class! I'm Ms. Berk! I'll be your first grade teacher!" the teacher piped joyfully. She was one peppy teacher, which would make the older kids automatically think she was new. She wasn't. She was just energetic. Ms. Berk had curly brunette hair and black eyes. She wore glasses. (All of her class thought of her as the most memorable teacher they had as they grew up.) "I hope you enjoy this year and I hope we get to know each other well!"

All of the class began to introduce each other. Since they did this on their own, it was a loud classroom.

"Hey," a shy girl squeaked when someone pushed her out of the way. "At least say excuse me..." She disregarded it though, since she thought she'd be the silent girl in the corner. There was no point in making friends, she thought.

"Hey you!" a loud girl called. She was wearing a puffy skirt and a shirt that said, "I love ponies!" in big letters. The shy girl looked at her.

"..."

"Uh, hi there! I'm Danielle! But you can call me Dani!" the loud girl yelled. "What's your name?"

The girl still didn't speak.

"Uh, hello there. Can you talk?" another girl with glasses asked rudely. "Hi there, I'm Megan." She scoffed at the girl. "Whatever."

The shy girl glared at her. How dare she talk that way to me! she thought.

"So uh, what's your name? Please tell us. Well know eventually, and I don't want to call you hey you!" Dani asked.

The girl mustered up the courage to say it. "L-Lyla," she stuttered. The two girls smiled in satisfaction. Megan nodded in approval.

"I like you, Lyla. I have decided to be your friend. You're lucky." Megan blushed and shook hands with Lyla.

Dani approached her in a different way. "Aww! You're so ADORABLE! That's it! Let's be friends!" Then Dani took her in a hug that almost crushed Lyla's insides. She smiled at her two new friends.

Every day since then, the three girls always sit together during lunch. They never let anyone else in their circle. But then things got complicated when Nathaniel, a new student from Arizona showed up in their 5th grade class.

He was an extremely cute boy. He had blonde hair with blue eyes. Lyla couldn't help but stare at him. Megan didn't like this, she wasn't paying attention to her as much as before.

During lunch, Lyla had invited Nathaniel over to their table. He happily accepted, much to Megan's dismay. Why would she start inviting other people other than Dani or herself? They barely knew each other! He was stealing her friend.

"Hey girls," he greeted with a salute. Megan glared at him. No one steals her friends, and gets away with it. The other girls greeted back and they began to eat.

Lyla started talking to Nathaniel with quick sentences and cute blushes. He responded quickly and they started a conversation so quickly. Megan couldn't believe it. Lyla opened up to him on the first day they met! It took at least three years for her to at least talk to them! She disliked Nathaniel.

As the days passed on, Lyla spent more time talking to the new boy than either Dani or Megan. Dani didn't mind at all, she thought it was great that she can make new friends, but Megan thought of him as an enemy.

"Hey Nate," she said coldly. "Come with me." Megan grabbed Nathaniel and took him to the shady part of the playground.

"What is it?" he asked cheerfully.