xxii

022. soft in person

“annie and kenzie?” hayden summerall raises his hand as he sees two girls that looked like the duo.

“is that hay?” annie pinched kenzie as she sees the arm

kenzie winces in pain. “annie! you'll see your boyfriend soon no need for viol—”

annie cuts kenzie when she slapped her shoulder. “i think that's johnny and he's calling you!”

kenzie heard a muffled scream from the johnny lookalike guy.

lauren orlando starts to run toward them and hugs the two.

they broke off the hug and lauren smiles at them, “come! let's go we've already put the blanket.”

a picnic! mackannie thought and looked together. they smiled and ran to them.

when they finally were in one place, they all hugged each other. 

“the people are still wondering what our caption meant,” carson snickered as they all sat on the blanket.

kenzie let out a small laugh “johnny and his celebrity shenanigans!” everyone laughed at this. it was still odd for kenzie to say johnny's name though she doesn't know why. 

the 9 had fun throughout the day, now they were just sitting on the lovely grass in a park.

“psst.” kenzie heard. when she looked beside her it was johnny taking her picture with a polaroid camera thingy. 

“hey!” kenzie processed what happened and tried to get the camera from him. but johnny moved back causing kenzie to fall on the grass.

kenzie looked up to johnny with a laughin face and glared. when she sit up she pouted at him.

“you're stunning here why are you pouting?” johnny says as he shows her the picture.

it was like they had their own little world.

as they hung out, they didn't notice how time was passing fast. it was getting darker.

“i think we should all go home now,” hayden speaks as he looks at annie.

“yeah, brynn has a long way to go.” carson and brynn stood up.

johnny and kenzie looked at each other. “oh yea! we completely forgot the time.” kenzie stood up too.

“uhm, i'll drop annie home since we usually drive there going home. if that's alright.” he looks at annie. annie looked at kenzie with worry.

“oh no it's okay annie” kenzie mouthed with a teasing grin. she ships hannie afterall. annie smiled back.

“i'll go with cars.” brynn smirked at us.

hayden knew jenzie needs to start. hayden looked at lauren and grabbed her arm. “we're dropping you home too.”

“i have a brother hayden!” lauren gave him a blank face. “if you don't know we live together!”

hayden grinned annoyingly “my brother will drive us. it'll be faster.”

lauren rolled my eyes. “i can go with my—”

hayden was annoyed before whispering something to lauren's ear before making them smile mischievously. annie caught on it and smiled too. carson and brynn didn't seem to get it so hayden subtly pointed and jenzie and they knew.

they all bid their goodbyes and kenzie started walking away.

it was only jenzie left in action after the cars left.

“hey kenzie, wait up!” johnny runs to kenzie. 

“oh johnny, aren't you going home?” kenzie asked.

“how are you going to get home?” johnny was worrying.

kenzie looked scared and looked at the road. she was right. she just moved in. who knows if she still goes home alive. “uh, i.. i-i’ll walk!”

johnny knew she was scared. “alone?”

she nodded slowly. 

“i don't think so.” he starts locking his hands with hers.

“wha.. what, johnny—”

“i'll walk you home. you yourself told me you are scared and i gave you my word i'd look after you right?” johnny grinned.

okay.. why is johnny softer in person? kenzie thought.

while walking, kenzie keeps scratching her face just to have an excuse to let go of johnny's hand.

“kenzie, hold my hand tight please?” johnny said out of nowhere that made kenzie internally scream and externally shake.

“it's just..so if someone just pulls you from behind, i have you.”

oh.. alright.. kenzie thought and tighten her grip. it was all awkward for kenzie, but for orlando, it was him being concern.

when kenzie saw her house, she stopped and looked at johnny. “so, this is my house.”

“nice house,” johnny laughed and let go of kenzie's hand. “i'll get going now?” he scratched the back of his head.

“you'll walk back to your house? do you want me to call you and uber?”

“no, it's okay.” he replied and started to walk away. “bye kenzie!”

“b-bye john!” she started waving. “oh, and thankyou!”

while walking, john gave out a thumbs up meaning welcome. kenzie smiled and walked inside her house.

“that guy is cute.” kenzie was startled when she randomly saw maddie with a smirk.

“maddie! you startled me. geez..” kenzie instinctlying slapped maddie's shoulder.

“who's him? i thought annie was with you?”

the girl rolled her eyes. “it's a long story and he is johnny orlando.” she said while she takes off her shoes.

“i ship.” maddie smirked.

“maddie! i just met him.”

“yeah, but it's better than ashton, or aka asston!” maddie breaks into a laugh while kenzie glares at her.

“we're hanging out tomorrow.” kenzie said pertaining to aSsTon.

“with the orlando kid? i'll drive–”

mackenzie interrupted maddie's sentence. “no, with ashton.”

maddie walked upstairs while saying, “i won't drive you. goodnight kenzie!”

mackenzie chuckled. “goodnight mads.”