Chapter Two - Don't Panic

Chapter Two: Don’t Panic

Halfway down the alley I heard groaning coming from behind a huge industrial bin. The alley was dirty, grimy and smelly not to mention creepy as Hell, the last thing I wanted to do was stop to see where the mysterious groans were coming from.

“Hello?” My Mum called softly into the dark. The groaning stopped, I wanted to turn and run, this instinct inside me flared up and I really had to stop my legs from carrying me away. I angrily told myself that someone might be in trouble and need help, that it might be hard to do the right thing but that didn’t mean I shouldn’t at least try.

I unlinked from Mum and took a shaky step forward. I felt my Mum make a grab for my arm but I shook her off.

“Wait.” She started.

From the shadows a figure burst out, a blur of grabbing hands and gnashing teeth. I gasped; my Mum yanked me out of the way and flung herself at the crazed man. He opened his mouth; blood flowed freely from his gums, and bit down hard on Mum’s neck.

“No!” I screeched. It was very quick, after just a couple of seconds I could see the strength, the very life, drain from my Mum. She weakly tried to prise the man’s mouth from her neck but she couldn’t. She gave up, looked me dead in the eyes and gasped one word.

“Run.” That was the very last thing my Mum ever said to me. I wanted to fight; I wanted to pull him off my Mum and fucking kill the guy. I’d never felt rage like it, but it quickly turned to panic as my mind caught up with what was happening.

A guy was actually eating my Mum. My Mum was being murdered, attacked, right in front of me. I screamed, loud and long I screamed. The man glanced up and raised his head away from Mum. He dropped her lifeless body to the ground, blood still oozing from the sizable hole in her neck. I got a good look at him in those few seconds before I turned and ran. He was tall, brown, messy hair. I supposed that once upon a time he would have been considered attractive. There was one thing that didn’t dawn on me until much, much later when I was thinking back to the first infected person I’d seen. He had a backpack, which was half open, a white lab coat almost falling out of it.

He advanced and I ran. I’d never been very athletic, but that night I think I could have won an Olympic medal. I was chased out of the alleyway and into the street beyond. It was packed with people.

“Run!” I shouted at them. I could looks of confusion on their faces, which then quickly turned to horror when they saw what was following me.

I found it utterly dumbfounding, but people actually went towards the monster that I had just seen take a chunk out of my Mum’s neck. They thought he needed help. Maybe that makes them better people than me. I didn’t see someone in need, I saw a threat. Once again that animalistic urge to survive overtook me and I ran away from the gathering people as fast as I could.