Chapter Ten - Don't Let Your Guard Down

I had awoken to another beautiful sunny day after an evening of fish and roasted hare, I lay there in the sun for a couple of minutes with my eyes closed, just enjoying the feeling of heat on my skin. I could hear the others were just starting to wake up too and it was oddly comforting, I was happy to dwell in the moment. Eventually though I sighed and opened my eyes, I couldn't pretend I was asleep forever.

"Morning Zak." I called sleepily up to the big guy who was reclined on top of the Jeep, keeping watch.

"Morning Alex. Sleep ok?" He asked. I nodded in response and yawned, stretching out.

"Could we stay here for the day again?" Sandy asked hopefully as she held up her arms to me. I smiled sadly as I picked her up and she gave me a cuddle, nuzzling into my neck.

"I'm sorry sweet heart but we have to keep moving. I know it's beautiful here but it's not exactly defensible. We'll find somewhere nice to settle down though, I promise." I knew I was making a promise that I might not be able to keep, but I was going to try my absolute hardest and that was the main thing right? It's the thought that counts and all that?

"I guess." She agreed grudgingly, wriggling from my arms. "I need to pee." She declared, walking off to hide behind a shrub. I smiled and shook my head at the grumpy little blonde.

"We need supplies." Chris announced once we were all sat with some form of breakfast in front of us, mostly strips of roast hare from the night before. "Thanks to Brian and Zak we're not going to starve today, or tomorrow in fact but we should get moving towards that little town we spotted on the map."

"I agree. I can feel myself getting lazy here and if I slip up and get munched on this late in the game, I'm going to be pissed." I commented with a smirk. "Let's get packed up and move out."

Everyone sounded their agreement and soon we were once again on the road. I'd delegated driving duties to Luke and I sat with Sandy on my lap, braiding her hair as she chatted shit continuously for three and a half hours. It was kind of relaxing if I'm completely honest.

As we approached the town we started to come across a couple of wandering corpses. They were extremely slow, no one had come this way in a while, or they hadn't disturbed the locals at least. Most of them weren't even moving, just swaying lightly in the hot sun. It made me feel better and worse all at once, I was thankful they were slow, but the only humans we'd seen recently were massive douche bags who wanted to steal our crap and probably kill us. I was starting to think there were no good people left out there.

We killed the walkers quickly and kept moving, heading for a road that skirted the town limit and then went up onto a slight rise where we would be able to see most of the town. We weren't stupid enough go straight in without knowing what was waiting for us.

Me, Zak and Luke kept low to the ground as we headed to the line of shrubs and trees that would shield us from the town. We'd left the others a half mile down the hill, it was too exposed and the cars or a large group would have been spotted. Armed with binoculars we inspected the town below. I have to say, I didn't like what I saw.

I wouldn't have said the streets were packed or anything, but they were busy. Throughout the whole town there must have been a couple of hundred. That was way too many for a small group of civilians, even if we had proved pretty bad ass up till that point.