Chapter Eleven - You Can Always Be surprised

A/N - This is just a quick one to say I am apparently a complete technophobe. After the last big change, however many months ago that was, I thought that you guys had stopped reviewing... I didn't see a single one... It's why I haven't been replying and if I'm honest it's why I was so infrequent with my uploads. So anyway I've figured it all out now and wow... I've been completely blown away with all the lovely comments. Thank you everyone that's still with me, now I'll shut up and go write the next chapter.

Chapter Eleven - You Can Always Be Surprised

I wasn't expecting the colossal chunk of flesh that stomped along the street at the end of the alley. Bulging muscles flexed beneath skin that was stretched to the point of tearing. The poor creatures bones had grown with the muscle and its shoulder joints protruded out at awkward angles. The most terrifying thing about it was, without a shadow of a doubt, its skull. I say skull but it was more of a misshapen boulder.

I held my breath as it, possibly he, ambled past. I felt Kitty grab my wrist and squeeze. I was glad of the contact. For a second I thought we were going to get away with it, but it was just wishful thinking.

I heard him sniffing the air loudly, then a low growl started in the back of the beasts throat. I didn't wait to get cornered between a dirty wall and even dirtier bin, pulling Kitty along with me I made a run for it, back the way we had just come.

"Up." I commanded, pointing to a ladder hanging from a rusting fire escape. Kitty jumped and grabbed the first rung of the ladder, quickly hoisting herself up.

A quick glance backwards told me that I didn't have time to jump for the ladder. In fact I barely had time to throw myself out of the way before the freak barreled into the spot I had just been stood.

"Alex! Just run!" Kitty yelled as she pulled up the ladder. "You can't kill it alone!"

I nodded once and scrambled to my feet, I felt a painful twinge in my right ankle but pushed through it and ran down the alley. Kitty started to jump up and down on the fire escape, yelling insults at the freak of a zombie. He didn't understand obviously but the noise created enough of a distraction for me to reach one of the large bins against the wall and scramble on top of it.

As I pulled myself up onto to fire escape I looked back to see how Kitty was getting on. She had the brutes attention, he was underneath her and trying desperately to grab at the metal beneath her feet.

Kitty pulled two hand guns from her belt and pointed them straight down, right at the beasts face. She started to fire, but it didn't seem to affect him at all. His skull was just too thick.

All too soon the mutated zombie had grabbed the edge of the fire escape. I knew what was going to happen before it happened and I yelled out to Kitty. I didn't need to though, she could see what was going to happen too. Her eyes went wide and she threw herself towards me.

He started to pull and the metal of the fire escape groaned under the strain. Both me and Kitty began to hastily scramble towards the next set of stairs that led upwards, knowing that the rusting fire escape wouldn't last long under the brutes assault. I got there first and held out my hand to grab Kitty. With a heroic effort she made it just before the bottom level of the fire escape was pulled from the wall.

He roared in anger, loud and long. It was then that I realized something odd. The other infected hadn't come running at all the noise. They should have and it made me uneasy. I stopped once I'd reached the second level and looked around. There were walkers in the surrounding streets but they were moving away from us and when the thing below us roared they sped up, as if they were scared.