Chapter Six - When Fighting The Undead, Don't Daydream

Chapter Six – When Fighting The Undead, Don't Daydream

“Grab what you can, quickly!” Mr Rugged Man said as he began to throw food and other important stuff into a large rucksack.

“Which way are they coming from?” I asked.

“East.” He said shortly, only a fleeting look of surprise passed across his face at having a random stranger ask him questions.

“Good.” I replied. “My Jeep is to the West. Where are your cars?” I asked as we all began filing out into the still dark woods.

“We keep them split up, one to the East, one to the South and one to the West, not far from yours.” Luke answered.

“West it is.” Old guy said as he began jogging away from the little cabin.

Now that we were outside I could hear the Infected, their groans and clicking as well as the noise they were making just moving through the forest. From the sounds I could hear them making I decided that they weren’t in full hunt mode, but they certainly weren’t docile.

“Oh shit.” Lilly hissed, skidding to a halt. “They’ve circled us.”

She was right. Up ahead, through the thick trees, I could see moving shapes. Unlike the ones behind us, they didn’t seem to know there was any fresh meat around. Like a really weird herd of sheep, they’d just been following the rest. If it’s possible for zombies to look confused, these ones did.

“We have to go through.” I said. “There’s no other way.”

“I agree.” Rugged Man nodded. “Stay together, circle formation, kill them silently.”

I held a small hatchet in each hand, I’d picked them up days ago and they’d become my weapons of choice. My heart was going crazy in my chest but I felt something that I hadn’t really felt for weeks. I felt ready, I was ready to defend myself, I was eager to survive. I wanted to keep on living and I was ready to do whatever it would take in order to just keep on breathing. It felt good to have this new vigor inside of myself.

We were like a pack of wolves as we moved through the trees, silent and completely deadly. Even Maggie, the woman I would have voted most likely to let us down, did a great job of staying silent and focused. Rugged Man was at the front, I was next to him, Luke was on his other side with Sandy and Maggie was next to me. Old Guy was in the middle of the protective circle, ready to step in if any of us got overwhelmed. Lilly and Chris were at the back, constantly keeping an eye on the hoard of undead behind us.

The Infected wandered along at a fairly slow pace, they weren’t packed in close together and looking back I’m sure that’s the only reason we made it through. I don’t mean to brag, but we were good. We moved quickly and killed with precision, they now knew we were there but were more concerned with reaching our flesh than calling their friends.

To me, the zombies had changed a lot since Vegas. When I’d run into them recently it seemed to take them a while before going into full hunt mode. They seemed slower, not as quick to call their pack. In fact I hadn’t seen very many packs at all. Sure I’d seen big clumps of walkers, like the one now surrounding us the forest, but that almost seemed accidental.