I Need You To Understand.

"Hey" said the tall figure satnding by the doorway.

I was frozen. I looked at his light brown eyes, his perfect nose, his full lips that had parted into a smile. He walked towards me and gave me  huge hug. I just stood there with my hands on my sides.

Zayn let go off me and looked me deep in the eyes.

"Brooklyn" He whispered. I looked away. I had no idea why I was here in the first place. In this arena. This was insane I should've just stayed home with my two bff's who wouldn't make me do anything and wouldn't mind if I ate them. Ben & Jerry where their names.

"Brooklyn please listen to me. I need you to understand" He beeged me.

I looked at him with tears in my eyes. "What do you want me to understand, Zayn? That you were too much of a coward to break up with me in person. Don't you think I deserved that at the very least? " My voise rose to a point that I was almost yelling.

Zayn looked at his feet. "Why did you want to see me anyway?" I asked him "You broke up with me, remember.?" I said in a bitchy tone.

"I know that! Brook, please understand that breaking up with you was one of the biggest mistakes I've made!" He exclaimed looking at me.

"What do you want from me?" I asked after  the shock of his statement wore off.

Zayns P.O.V.

"What do you want frome me?" She asked in a hush tone.

What did I want from her? I wanted her back. That's what I wanted. I wanted her to help me keep my promise to my mom. But most of all I wanted to hear her say to me that she loved me.

"I want another chance" I said to her.

She laughed bitterly. "Another chance? For what? So you can break my heart again? So I can cry myself to sleep because the person I thought I was going to be with forever didn't want me anymore? I can't go through that again" She said and grabbed her purse. With every question a stab of pain hit my heart. Had I really caused her so much pain?

I am such a bastard.

She walked past me but I stopped her, grabbing a hold of her elbow.

"Let go!" Brooklyn said. She squirmed under my grasp.

"My mom is dying" I said.

She stopped and faced me.

"What?" She asked. She sounded on the verge of tears.

"She has cancer, Esmeralda" I used her middle name for her to know that I was serious.

She was wide-eyed. She collapsed on the sofa. She looked faint.

"Brooke?" I exclaimed and sat next to her

She wouldn't answer.

"Paul!" I yelled.

He burst into the door. "what?" He asked looking at Brooke.

"I think she is in shock" I said and behind Paul I saw Angela, Brooke's friend and the lads.

Angela walked forward and crouched in front of Brooklyn. She took a hold of her shoulders shook her. Still Brook wouldn't come to her senses.

"I'll go get water" Paul said and left.

I looked at the lads for help or something and Liam being the Daddy Direction he is crouched next to Angela and touched Brooklyns forehead. Then leaned closer as he were to kiss her neck and tilted his head to the side.

"She is still breathing" He announced. I took a hold of her hand a squeezed it.

"She's fine right now Brook. But she can collapse anytime soon" I whispered in her ear.

"I think you should slap her" Louis , ever so brilliantly, said.

I looked at him.

"What? It was just a suggestion?" He said, raising his hands, as if surrendering.

Paul gave me the cup of ice cold water. Angela stopped me,

"Wait a second" She said " I've been in this situation before."

She took off Brooks hat and slapped her across the face hard. So hard even Paul flinched.

Brooklyn finally gasped and tears filled her eyes. She looked bewildered. I squeezed her hand.

She looked at me and she seemend to remember where she was at the moment. "Please tell me you are lying" She begged me putting her free hand on top of mine "Please. I beg you!"

"i:m sorry'. I said.

"NO!'' She cried. "Why?"

"I'm sorry " i said again.

"I can;t do this" She said standing up and pulkling Angela with her and left running. The room.

I stood up and ran as fast as I could behind them. I catched up to her and stopped her.

I tried to hug her and after a few protests she gave up and just cried into my chest.

She and my mom were really close. LIke if she were my  moms biological daughter,

Brooklyn once told me that since her own mom had died when she was 16 and she had been on her own since then, she consider my mom her mom too.

"its okay" I told her.

She cried harder. I led her into a room and made her sit down on the couch. I got her tissues. Before we entered the room I noticed that Angela had gone back into the room with the boys and Paul,

"Brooklyn I need to ask you something..." I said

She looked at me with bloodshot eyes and nodded "If it's for your mom anything" She said.

I took a deep breath adn looked deep into her brown eyes.

"Will you marry me?" I asked.