14.

Baekhyun's POV

"Fired?
- Yes, this is unacceptable. This task was very urgent and your absent-mindedness and your lack of seriousness almost lead us to a catastrophe. Hopefully, Mr. Mo was there."

Why did I forget?

I couldn't move. I was catatonic. I felt my cheeks burning.

"Excuse me Mr. Choi, but you can't just fire Mr. Byun," said Kyungsoo. "He's an excellent legal advisor, he's so useful to this bank. We can't—
- This is my decision to take, Mr. Do, thank you for your concern though. But it seems to me that Mr. Mo is way more qualified for this post, and this is the reason why he's our new legal advisor, alongside with you, Mr. Do."

This can't be happening, please, tell me it isn't happening...

Kyungsoo bowed to apologise before glancing at me.

"Plus, Mr. Byun must be busy with his reality show, right? You can now focus on your celebrity career from now on," bitingly said Mr. Choi.

"Please, pack up your desk as fast as possible. It was good to work with you, but I can't favour one person over another. Good luck, Mr. Byun."

I looked down. But still felt some anger.

"There's no such thing as a celebrity career for me. But thank you for your concern," I bowed before leaving.

┉┉┉┉┉

I got into my office, angry and disappointed.

"Why did I forget that fucking file?" I yelled before kicking into my desk chair.

I really wasn't awake yesterday, plus I was a bit distracted. Of course it's my fault.. I'm incompetent.

"Why? How?!" I scratched my head. There was a cardboard box waiting for me on the floor.
I took it and started putting my pens, my trinkets and all the little decoration items in it. I then took a look at the frames put on my desk.

"Baekbom..." It was a photo of him taken during his graduation ceremony.

I grabbed the second frame.

"Mom, dad..." It was a photo of them at my house. They were smiling, they looked so happy.

I kissed the frame before putting it into the box.

"It's always hard to get fired... Especially when it's the first time." I heard.

I looked behind me and saw Mr. Mo, standing against the wall.

What does he want? He sure must be happy. This is all he wanted: to get rid of me and to have my post. Well, congratulations, you ass.

"You must be very angry right now. And you probably don't want to talk to me. But, I remember when I was your age. I used to work at a shoemaker's workshop. I used to work really hard. My father had passed away, and my mother was busy taking care of my younger brother. The shoemaker would often scold me. Hit me or insult me. But it was the only way out."

I closed the box and looked at him.

"Once, I arrived late, and forgot to bring him the box of shoe grease he wanted me to buy. He was so angry. He fired me. And when I got home, I felt so ashamed. I didn't have the guts to tell my mother what happened," he looked lost in his thoughts.