Side story 1: 5 Seconds before Midnight

Gray walked into the guild just like he did every morning, but for some odd reason it was irregularly empty.

'I guess I set my hopes too high. Who would remember my birthday?' Gray thought to himself as he walked on.

"Gray-sama!" Gray rolled his eyes in frustration as Juvia came running over with a suspiciously large bow around her neck.

"Juvia is Gray-sama's birthday present!" Without looking back Gray pushed her out of the way, "Hahahahaha, no."

Gray grumpily slumped towards the kitchen only to get stopped by Mira. He glared at her, he was not in the mood to deal with this. "What is it Mira?"

"We're cleaning the kitchen!" Mira answered unbelievably quickly, which made him question what she was trying to hide.

"Come on, I can go and grab a bite to eat right?"

"No!"

"Why not?"

"I told you we're cleaning!"

"Who's in there with you?"

"It's only me!"

"Alright." Gray smirked, I think I hassled her enough already, "I'll be over there."

In the kitchen

Mira let out a big sigh as she shut the kitchen door.

"You alright Mira-san?" Krystal asked as she put the finishing touches on a pristine white cake.

"Gray was outside the door."

"WHAT!" Krystal nearly dropped the frosting bag at the sound of Gray's name, "Was he suspicious?"

Mira's eyes gleamed in pride, "Of course not! I am the master of hiding information."

Krystal laughed. But their relaxed atmosphere was soon interrupted by a hungry dragon slayer.

"KRYSTAL!" Amber rampaged into the kitchen, destroying the door as she came in, "oooo cake!"

Amber instantly gobbled up the cake that sat on the centre of the table.

"AMBER!" Krystal screamed at the sight of the flaming idiot wolfing down the cake that she so hardly worked on all morning, "That cake."

Krystal sniffled and tried to keep in her tears as she spoke, "IT WAS MEANT TO BE GRAY'S BIRTHDAY CAKE."

Mira pulled Amber out of the kitchen, "We should go."

"What do I do?" Krystal mumbled to herself as she stared at the puddle of frosting that had plopped on to the ground.

"Ah! There's that!"Krystal gathered the ingredients and swiftly began baking again.

That evening

"Night Mira! I'm going home!" Gray shouted as he left the guild. Today had been a long day.

Soon after, Krystal walked out of the kitchen with a small white box.

"You just missed him, he just left the guild. Go out and turn left." Mira smiled knowingly as she watched Krystal rush out the guild hall. "Good luck."

Krystal ran down the streets of Magnolia, cake in hand, looking for Gray.

It was getting colder and colder by every passing moment, but this didn't bother Krystal her only goal was to get the cake to Gray before midnight.

After several minutes on running she ended up in the town centre and there was not a person in sight.

A tear streamed down her face as the snow began to fall. "I'm too late..." Krystal whispered as she fell to her knees as she watched the large clock hand slowly hit twelve.

"You're not late," Krystal turned her head and her eyes met with Gray's, "You arrived here just as Mira said, 5 seconds before midnight."

"You didn't need to make me a cake or get me a present. All I need is you." Gray grabbed Krystal's hand and pulled her up into a soft embrace, "Thank you for remembering," Gray whispered as the clock tower rang.

They stood in each other's arms as the snow gently fell around them, remembering to treasure every second so they wouldn't forget each other's warmth.

*sigh* Sorry guys for this filler chapter. I left the other chapter in a place where I didn't know how to continue...

Well anyways I post short stories on my Instagram page (occasionally) so go visit my page @kryspyon on Instagram!

See ya in the next chapter!