[04] The Decision

---

The worst and best thing that can ever happen to a person is life.

---

Chapter Four – The Decision

Thunder rolled in around nine when Frankie jogged from her car to her flat in haste. Her mobile rang halfway up the steps, blasting a classic-rock tune whose name escaped her now. It might be Bennie and The Jets, but she is too unfocused to say exactly. Icy rain descends the grey clouds in buckets, showering the pavement for the second time this week. She pulled her jumper tighter around herself, flipping the hood up to cover her hair, escaping the chore of having to dry it later.

As she took the steps, one by one, her foot nearly slipped on the damp staircase. Her heart instantly raced, beating uncontrollably with the prospect of what very nearly happened. When it calmed, she straightened herself and continued upwards. A string of curse words fled her lips while she tried her hardest not to fall once more. This was a difficult routine.

“Watch your step, dearie.”

Instantly, her head whipped towards the sound of the scratchy, aged voice. An unfamiliar man stood  at the top of the staircase, his coal black eyes staring down. His hands are deep within the pockets of his trousers, which seem to be held up by a tattered belt. Thin strings of white hair was pushed between locks of dark brown on his scalp. He paused for her to say something, but she didn’t. Instead, she kept on travelling up, blatantly ignoring his previous comment. She’s not very sociable with strangers. Especially older ones, such as himself.

“You have a good night now.”

That’s the last sentence she hears before she’s safe inside the comfort of her home. The temperature was much warmer than that of a few moments ago, and she’s nothing short of grateful. All she wanted now, was to heat something good to eat and watch whatever’s on television. Maybe a late night film to pick up her mood.  To be honest, she could use anything to help with the building headache.

Genevieve was in her room, sound asleep and unwary of her friend who had recently arrived with mindboggling news to share. On any other occasion, Frankie would have awakened the girl, unashamedly stripping her of her vital repose. However, under the circumstances, she knew it would not be right. Genevieve, in her own, was working desperately to contain herself against the sad times which had once again, ventured into her life.

Frankie tried to erase her mind of the horrible night, of the terrible story she heard from her friend, but she just couldn’t bring herself to. She recalled the memory of the hospital, the bruised faces of her friends. She remembered the painful story of Genevieve’s deceased brother, and she wanted to cry. All the time she had known Genevieve, Frankie knew her to be the stronger, braver one. At times, she felt jealous of the characteristics she had simply never been blessed with. But now, the same girl was breaking and Frankie could not do a thing to stop it. She, herself, was a hopeless, worn out, mess.

On the screen, a couple of lads were pushing and shoving each other, shouting curse words of which Frankie could no longer comprehend. So, she switched it off. Her eyes had become extremely heavy and began to close. She laid her head back on the sofa, breathing in and out slowly. The clock nearby ticked away, tick tock, tick tock. She pulled her blanket around closer to her body, diminishing the little breaths of cold air wandering the room. Eventually, everything within her gave away and she found herself lost in a dreamless sleep.

• X •

“I have other things to take care of, Francis.” He told her sternly, flipping through a pile of papers on his desk. “I won’t be in London for much longer, anyways. I have a show to run in America, too.”

Frankie sighed, dropping her crossed arms in defeat. “Look, Uncle Simon, I understand that…completely. You have important work outside of the boys’ careers. I’m only saying you should, maybe, think this through one more time. You could be making a big mistake here.”

“I have been in the music business longer than you have been alive, Francis,” replied Simon, his voice grasping much annoyance and the utmost irritation. “I believe I know what I’m doing with these boys.”

He thought this would be the end of the heated argument and the strong-minded nineteen year old would finally leave him be. Albeit, this was not the case as she paced closer to his desk and laid her hands flat atop it, steering the discussion to her control.

“In all due respect, sir,” said Frankie, “these boys have made an impact, not only on the lives of millions of people around the world, but on yours, as well. If you let them go, you’ll never get them back.”

“Are you threatening me, Francis?”

“I’m merely asking you to make a more rational decision, sir.”

Simon looked at her, his expression grave. He was an important name in the music industry and while he had his moments, his peremptory tone and attitude made anyone squirm. Conversely, this all flew out the window when it came to Frankie. Over the past three years, he had seen her behaviour transform in a wide array of colours. When she had her heart set on something, she could travel to the ends of the Earth for it, similar to her friend whom she was now fighting for.

“One month,” he stated, his gaze plastered on the girl. “If you can, somehow, bring them back to their previous states, then I will withdraw my earlier decision. If not, I apologize, but I have to do what is necessary to move forward. You can’t change the past, Frances, and you can’t change the effects it will have on the future. As per my job, I must do what I have to.”

 Frankie nodded, stepping silently away from the desk to put her coat back on. “One last thing, sir?”

“Yes?”

She smiled, placing one hand on the doorknob. “As their friend, it’s my job to save them when no one else will. Thank you for your time.”