Let's Get Ready

The next few weeks were quite busy as the family got everything ready for their new addition. They double-checked all of their supplies and then checked again. Claire and Silver made a list of the rest of the things they needed and took a trip back to the baby store to get the items on the list.

They entered the store and were greeted by the same man as before.

"Ah, one of my few human customers! Welcome back. I just got in a new shipment of human baby supplies that I hope you'll enjoy. I assume you know your way around now, but I'll be at the counter if you need anything."

"Thank you." Claire said as she walked with Silver to the same section of the store as before.

"Okay, let's each grab a cart and get this taken care of. Do you have the list?" She asked. 

"Aye, lass." He pulled it out of his coat pocket and handed it to Claire.

"This looks bigger than before, did you add stuff to it?"

"I did. 'Da list was so small before, and Faye went over some t'ings with me 'dat could help us with 'da pup."

"Do we need all of this? I think we can manage without."

"C-ster, O' course we can manage without, but 'dat doesn't mean we 'ave to. We have more riches than we could ever spend in 'dis lifetime, it's okay 'ta buy some nice t'ings for 'da pup."

"I know...it's just-"

"I know yer mum didn't have a lot when you were growin' up, but 'dat's not our situation. It's okay."

Claire took a deep breath and nodded her head. "Okay. Let's do it."

The two filled their carts with anything that tickled their fancy, including a swing, a bouncer, a washing tub, a skiff seat, a mobile, and a variety of toys; all of which were space-themed of course. Their carts were pretty full at this point, and Claire checked the list to confirm what she thought would be the last items. She believed that they needed clothes, a crib, a baby changing station, and a mattress, but as she read down the list, she saw that the crib and baby changing station were crossed off already.

"Oh, did you already pick out a crib and a changing station?" She asked as she looked in his cart to see if she could spot it.

"T'ain't in 'da cart, I'll show 'ya when we get home."

"Oh-uh-okay. That just leaves some clothes and a mattress."

Silver walked over to the crib mattress section and looked at the different sizes that they offered, then picked a mid-price range one that was the size he needed. Once he placed it in the cart, they headed to the baby clothes.

Silver couldn't help but grin as he watched Claire gush and melt at all of the different newborn baby outfits. She kept talking about how cute they were, and how she wanted him to get here already. He didn't quite get it, they were just clothes, but as he picked up a little red onesie that was so small that it hardly filled up his hand, he stared at it and had to admit that it was indeed pretty cute. He felt his heartstrings get tugged as he pictured his son in it, and it made him excited to hold his boy when the time finally came.

After they loaded up on more outfits than they could ever truly need, they made their way to the checkout when something caught Silver's eye. He changed directions and suddenly beelined it for a specific rack and left Claire waiting for him in the center aisle. He quickly returned and showed Claire a tiny black tricorn hat with a gold trim.

"Our pup has 'ta have a pirate hat!" He practically pleaded.

"That is the CUTEST thing that I've seen all day!" She beamed as she put it in the cart.