A Sweet Goodbye

Claire noticed Silver was nowhere to be seen, so she excused herself and walked towards the stairs, but was stopped by the Captain.

"Claire...you know we have to turn him over to a galactic judge, don't you?"

Claire started to panic on the inside at her confirmation of Claire's fear. "Um, of course. Obviously."

Amelia cocked an eyebrow. "Don't pretend with me, I am well aware of the two of you."

Claire's mouth gaped. "What?"

"Oh, come now, it's not hard to see...at least not for an intelligent feline like myself. The way your step had a certain skip to it, all the free time you spent with him, the way he would look at you whenever his crew wasn't around. Not to mention the absolute panic he tried to keep under wraps as soon as you took off to fix the portal. I'm not as oblivious as you think I am." She grinned as she touched her hand to Claire's well-hidden baby bump.

"If you know all of this...then please, Amelia...don't turn him in. I love him and I need him. Not to mention, he gave up the loot of a thousand worlds and killed his entire pirate crew for me...for us...so that we could have a life together. Don't take him away from me...and don't take him away from his child...please." She pleaded with the Captain.

Amelia pursed her lips as she thought.

"Very well, I will forgive his wrongdoings this once, but only because I've grown rather fond of you. However, should I ever catch wind of him committing heinous crimes again, I will personally see to it that he rots in jail for the rest of his miserable existence."

Claire launched herself forward as she wrapped Amelia in a hug.

"Oh, thank you, Amelia! Thank you!"

The Captain grinned as she returned the embrace.

"You're welcome."

After the Captain left, Claire ran down the stairs to the hangar bay, hoping to find Silver there. She found him sitting with his back against one of the boats, thinking. She quickly walked over to him and knelt in front of him.

"Silver! You don't have to worry about the judge anymore! I convinced the Captain to drop the charges on you! You're home free!"

"What? How did 'ya manage 'dat?"

"Well...she uh-knew about us, and she knows about the baby too. So I told her about all of the good things you did, and how much I need you. So she agreed to let you go...as long as you're on your best behavior."

"Oh, t'ank 'da stars!" He sighed in relief. "I were'nt sure what I was gonna do. I thought I was gonna hav'ta disappear for a bit."

He paused for a moment as he took her in.

"You were absolutely incredible today, lass. You've grown so much since 'dat day we met...just look at ya'."

"It's all thanks to you, Silver." She admitted.

"How so?" He questioned with a furrowed brow.

"Well, you see...I met this...sexy cyborg..." She winked and then looked out into space "...and he taught me that I'm worth something, that I'm worth fighting for. He loved me, when I didn't even love myself and he stuck with me through all of the worst parts of me. He told me to chart my own course, and that's what I'm gonna do."

Silver stepped towards her. "And what do you see...off that bow o' yers?"

Claire's eyes lit up as she turned and looked into his. "A future, our future."

"Hmmhmmhmmhmm. Why...look at ya'...glowin' like a solar fire."

Silver looked at Claire with pride in his eyes, she'd grown into quite the young woman compared to when he first met her. She was confident and had direction in her life now. She was no longer that reckless kid with nothing to lose, she'd bloomed into a beautiful woman who embraced her potential.

As he thought about it, he could feel himself getting choked up.

"Yer' somethin' special Claire...you're gonna rattle the stars, you are..." His voice cracked as he got down on one knee.

"An' I wanna be there, right by yer side when ya' do." He pulled out a simple silver band that he'd found in Flint's trove and held it up for Claire to see.

"Would ye make 'dis grumpy old pirate cap'n's dreams come true, an' be my wife?"

Claire's heart soared as she absorbed everything that she had just seen and heard. He wanted to marry her! He wanted to be with her until the end of their days. They were truly going to be a family, and she couldn't wait to start their life together.

"Oh, John! Yes! Yes! Yes!" She hopped up and down until Silver stood up, then she launched herself into his arms for a tight embrace, and he slid the ring onto her finger.

Silver all but scooped her up as he smashed his lips onto hers in a heated kiss. He wrapped his arms around Claire's back and pulled her as close to him as he could, and as the two kissed, Silver felt a little kick come from her baby bump. Upon feeling his baby, he quickly developed a gentle, but excited smile.

"Did ya' feel that?! Pups got a bit o' fire in him!" He beamed as the baby kicked even harder.

Claire smiled as she watched his excitement, then looked at the ring on her hand. She was engaged, and she couldn't be happier. As she thought about it, a question arose.

"Wait, did you ask my mom if you could marry me?...OH MAN! My mom! Haha! How am I going to explain this to my mom?!" She laughed nervously as she gestured to her swollen, baby-filled belly. That will be a fun conversation...'Hey mom! I'm back...I missed you, I'm having a baby...How has everything been while I've been gone?..oh...and the father is a pirate captain!"

"Woah, lass. Slow down. Why would I ask yer mum if I could marry ya'?" He asked with confusion written on his face.

"You know, you're supposed to ask a girl's parents for her hand in marriage before you propose."

He only stared at her with that same confusion as he clearly hadn't the foggiest clue what she was talking about.

"Seriously? Is-is it just a human thing?" She asked. 

"Must be, lass. Ursids certainly don't ask permission ta' marry anyone. Is d'ere a reason you want me to?"

She was quiet as she thought about it for a moment.

"Well...I suppose it's mostly just tradition at this point. I'm an adult and she doesn't have any real say in who I marry...but I guess it's just nice to get her blessing and to know that she approves of you and wants you as a part of the family as much as I do, you know?"

"I suppose I can understand the desire behind 'dat. I'll ask yer mum for your sake...but I'm marryin' ya' no matter what her answer is." He said with a wink.

"Oh, one hundred percent." She agreed with that devious glint in her eyes.

Silver gently released her and looked off to the side as he rubbed the back of his neck.
"Hey, lass. I-uh...need ta' tell ya' some'tin."

"Is everything okay?" She asked with concern at the sudden change in his demeanor.

"Aye. Everythings fine. I just have some'tin I need ta' take care of a'fore I can join ya' on Montressor."

Her face fell as she grew apprehensive at the idea of him taking off to take care of some pirate-related thing.

"Hey, 'tis alright, C-ster. I'll be fine, an' I'll tell 'ya all o'bout it when I come back."

Claire pulled him into another hug. "I'm gonna miss you...You'd better come before this baby does, he's due in a little over two months."

"It'll take o'bout a month, two weeks each way. Here lass..." He pulled out two small, copper, metal, circles and handed one to Claire. "...d'ese are emergency communicators. But they can only be used once, so make it count."

Claire took it and put it in her pocket.

"So, we'll meet at the cave in one month?"

"Aye lass. I love ya' and I'll try ta' get back to ya' as fast as I can." He kissed her one last time and then jumped in the skiff.

"Be careful out there, you old scallywag." She ragged on him as she held back tears.

"Why C-ster, when have I ever done otherwise?!" He cackled as he loosed the sail. Claire chuckled and shook her head as she watched him disappear into the etherium.