A New Light

"Have a seat...Mr. Silver." She said in an almost commanding tone.

They both took a seat at the table. It was quiet for a moment, then she let it rip.

"What in THE SWEET HEAVENS is wrong with you?!"

Silver sat there with a face that showed just how taken aback he was.

"Uh...I beg yer pardon?"

"You took advantage of a mentally distressed 18-year-old girl with daddy issues! You slept with her, and then 'decided to do the right thing' once you found out she was pregnant? You are much older than her, the age difference alone is...inappropriate to say the least. Not to mention...you're a pirate captain! You were reckless and could have gotten her killed! I've seen the wound YOU gave her. It's a miracle she lived, and it's an even bigger miracle that the baby lived. It's mostly healed, but still burns as her bump grows. What kind of a mother would I be if I gave someone like you my blessing to marry my daughter?! You are a free-spirited, space-faring, pirate! How do I know you are ready to commit?..."

All of this intense emotion all at once made her think of her ex-husband, and she could feel the pain and sorrow of an old wound start to tear at her.

"...How do I know you won't just up and leave them in six or seven years when you get bored of playing house? Or that you...won't even say goodbye to your kid...when the next adventure calls you...?"

Silver saw her trying not to cry, and realized that, as much as she made it sound like it was, this wasn't REALLY about him. He jumped into action and moved to comfort his (hopefully) future mother-in-law. He knelt down on one knee in front of her, and gently wiped a tear from her cheek.

"Sarah. I know yer scared for her, and I know 'dat when you were just a pup, 'dis is the same exact 'ting that happened with you and her rotten, no-good, pop. You were so young when ye had her, and he told ya' he would do the right 'ting, and be a family with ya'. And I know that he abandoned ya'..."

He lifted her chin and looked into her eyes.

"...But I'm not him. I love Claire with me whole soul, and I love our pup. I'm not goin' anywhere."

Sarah looked deep into the eyes of the man her daughter loved and saw a good man. She saw his love for Claire and his unwavering gaze of truth.

"I...I don't know why I'm doing this...but I'm going to follow my gut and my heart...and they're telling me to trust you...please, John, don't make me regret giving you my blessing."

"Ya' won't. I'll take care of 'em, and provide for 'em. I promise ya'."

Sarah found herself drawn to him through their common ground of wanting the best for Claire, and she knew she could trust him with Claire's fragile heart. She welled up with tears and broke into a sob. A sob of relief, as years of worry and concern finally came to rest. Her little girl was safe and in good hands.

She fell off of her chair and hugged Silver. She could feel the warmth radiating from him and could see why Claire found such comfort in him as everything about him seemed like it was almost designed to comfort and reassure others.

Silver hugged her back even though it was a bit unexpected, but he knew everything she'd been through, so he tenderly wrapped his arms around her in return.

"Yer daughter...she is one spit-fire 'o a woman, Sarah. She's smart, she's beautiful, she's strong. Ye did good, all on yer own. Ya' never needed that deadbeat."

They separated, and Sarah wiped her eyes. "Thank you, Silver. I misjudged you, and I'm sorry...can you forgive me."

"Aye, ye just be looking out for yer pup. Can't blame a mother for 'dat."