Chapter 7 The Day That Went From Good To Bad Part 2 (Miguel's Story)

Hola you guys!! I'm so sorry that I hang updated in a while, but due to school semester stuff and other stuff, I'm finally back and here's Chapter 7! And it's close to Christmas! And hopefully Chapter 8 can be uploaded in Christmas Day or New Years.

Anyway, as usual, I do not own Coco, that goes to Disney, but I own the plot and the some of the characters in the story!

Enjoy!!

______________________________

'This is a Bad idea.'

Miguel thought to himself as he and Dante skittered across the rooftop, careful not to make noise or be seen by anyone while they were about to start Día de los Muertos. When he slid down the stack of leather with the Xolo by his side though, he found his family. They were just around the corner, and then at his other side coming closer and closer, almost as if they were waiting to catch him. He held his guitar close to his body and worriedly tried to sneak out of their view. If they saw him holding a guitar, they would freak out and undoubtedly try to stop him. And if that happens, his dream would never ever, come true and he won't be friends with Camila anymore! He managed to slip into the ofrenda room unseen, but his family's voices were getting closer, he was going to get caught. Quickly, without thought, he shoved the guitar and Dante under the cloth of the ofrenda and tried to look as inconspicuous as possible as he jerked around at his parent's and abuelita's presence.

"Miguel!"

"Uh, nothing!" He quickly said, shoving his hands in his pockets, trying to hide the nervousness in his smile and the shaking of his hands.

They all gathered around him looking excited. Miguel couldn't hide his suspicion, but it was immediately replaced by shock and horror when they revealed that they wanted him to begin working in the shoe shop. Working in the shop meant he wouldn't go out into town as much, he wouldn't have as much time to practice playing his guitar and he wouldn't hang out with his brand new friend, period! 'I must be cursed!' Miguel decided as he quickly tried to defend himself, change their minds.

"But... What if I'm no good at making shoes?" He asked, knowing that he didn't really care if he was good at making shoes, but his family seemed to buy it...

And twisted it in the very wrong direction.

"Ay, Miguel, you have your family to guide you," his father said, spinning him around and gesturing to the ofrenda. Miguel's eyes went straight to ripped picture of his Papá Héctor, his family was guiding him to be a musician, he was sure of it, "You are a Rivera, and a Rivera is..."

"...A shoemaker, through and through." He sighed, picking up on the prompt to finish the little saying.

They ignored the reluctance in his voice and cheered, leaving the ofrenda room with his father proclaiming to make a toast while his mother gave him a little touch of affection and his abuelita smothered him in it. He gave them all a weak smile that fell away the moment he was out of their view.

But he didn't have a moment to dwell on his misfortune as he turned to the ofrenda and saw Dante lapping the offerings.

"Dante!" He screeched in horror as he saw him eating an offering, the said dog heard him and then continued. "Dante, stop!!" He pleaded , running over to the dog and trying to pull him off when he didn't stop.

Miguel couldn't believe his luck! If his family saw that the street dog he kept had taken from their ofrenda, they would freak out almost as much as if they found out that he played music. He pulled and pulled, the dog struggling in his arms and holding onto the cloth as much as he could. With one last jerk, he and Dante came free, rolling backwards as the dish left out crashed to the floor and the ofrenda wobbled precariously. The picture of his Mamá Imelda, Mamá Coco, and Papá Héctor moved back and forth before falling over completely, shattering as it hit the ground.