18- Say Something

~Keith's POV~

The bright light of the morning covered my face as I opened my eyes. After they adjusted to the light, I was able to look around and see where I was. I was laying on the couch in my apartment. Agh.. My head hurt like hell, and my attention came to the bandages wrapped around my torso. Just then I remembered what happened last night. I'm finally home.

I stood up from the couch and walked(limped) over to the kitchen, where I made myself a cup of coffee. I heard the familiar squeak of Shiro's bedroom door opening, and in a moment Shiro walked around the corner and into the main room.

"Hi," I told him.

He looked up at me with a tired expression, yawned, and then replied back with a simple, "Hey."

He made himself a cup of tea, and leaned against the counter. Shiro sighed, and rested his head on his hand. He had a bandage placed across his nose.

"Are you okay?" I asked my brother. He nodded slightly.

"I'm fine. All this is just overwhelming, you know?" I nodded. I understood what he was feeling. That's why I never told him, and because I didn't want him to get hurt. Look how that plan turned out.

"Sorry." Shiro looked up at me.

"No, it's not your fault. I should have noticed, should have paid more attention. I could have helped, we could have prevented this whole thing..."

"What do you mean? It's all my fault. I chose to not tell you, and you had to find out by learning I'd gotten kidnapped by some random guy out to hunt me." Shiro sighed.

"Why did you never tell me, Keith? Do you not trust me?" His voice grew louder.

"Of course I trust you, Shiro. I just... I didn't tell you because I knew you would react like this. I was trying to protect you."

"Do you really think this is trying to protect me, Keith?" Shiro motioned to the bandage on his face. "I can protect myself. I just don't want you to feel like you can't trust me."

"I always knew I could... just, when that news report came up, you called me a monster. Do you know what it feels like to be called that?! By your own brother? That's why I didn't tell you. I didn't want you to know if you thought I was a monster. I couldn't handle that."

"Look, I don't think you're a monster. You just have to understand that this is really overwhelming for me, and I'm sure to everyone else you got involved in trying to rescue you." That last comment sent me off the edge. I stood up and pushed the chair out of the way.

"I didn't want to get so many people involved!" I shouted at him.

"Well that didn't really work out, did it?" Shiro said angrily. I noticed the whites of his eyes turn a light yellow. His pupils grew smaller. I stepped back.

"S-sh-Shiro...? What's happening to you...?" I stuttered.

"Why didn't you tell me, Keith?" Shiro stepped closer to me with everything he said. I noticed he now had two sharp fangs as well.

"I-I... I told you why," I told him nervously.

"Stop lying! Just tell me the real reason you never told me!" Shiro yelled.

"I... I never told you because I was scared, ok? ...I was scared as to what would happen when people I cared about found out what I was hiding from them. I couldn't bring myself to deal with the guilt, so I just never told!" I felt a lump form in my throat. Tears began forming in my eyes. "I-I was scared, Shiro. I'm sorry.