17- We Are A Good Team

Soon we were driving up to the tall building. It was dark, and all of the lights appeared to be off. I looked at the clock on my phone. It read 1:34 AM. I opened the door to Shiro's minivan, and stepped out. Shiro and Adam followed. There was a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach, as I was nervous about how this would go.

"Are- are you guys sure we can do it?" I began, worrying out loud. "I- I mean,, we've never done anything like this before, and what if we get caught—" Shiro stopped me by putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, Lance. We'll be able to do it. We're a good team, right?" I smiled.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks," I said, then looked at the skyscraper. It must have had at least 20 floors, if not more. The ground floor walls were built up of all large windows. I saw a flash of white hair, and then Lotor opened a side door. He motioned for us to follow him. Adam placed his hand on Shiro's shoulder, and looked back at me as we approached the building.

"You ready?"

I slid Keith's motorcycle helmet over my head, then walked to the house, the knife he had given me in hand.

"Let's go save Keith."

Lotor led us through the building, until we reached the elevator and rode it up to the 21st floor. It opened to a wide hallway, and we walked down it until Lotor stopped us at a locked door. This building was incredibly eerie, and looked almost like a hospital. Lotor pulled out a key, and opened the door. We walked down another dark hallway, until we reached another door. After unlocking this one, Lotor clicked a button on the wall, and lights turned on one by one. They gave off a purple light, which made the setting even more unsettling than it already was. I gulped, trying to push down the lump in my throat. Lotor had told us that Zarkon and Honerva(Zarkon's wife apparently) were asleep in their apartment upstairs. But I still worried that we would get caught. I gripped Keith's knife tighter as we walked down the hallway. We pass a door that has a complex-looking lock on it.

"What's that?" I whispered.

"That room is my father's lab," Lotor responded. "Keith isn't too far from here."

Past the lab were some other doors, and near the end of the hallway some empty cells. Lotor stopped us at the very last one. It was empty, but there was an empty plate on the floor, along with a few purple feathers. Keith's. Lotor froze, his eyes wide.

"I- I don't understand. This is where Keith was when I saw him, I swear."

"But then—" Adam began, but stopped when he heard footsteps approaching. Lotor's eyes went wide. My heart rate quickened even more than it already was. He scrambled around for a moment, looking for a place to hide. He quickly opened the door across from us and shoved us into the room. He was breathing hard when he closed the door behind us. We peeked through the small window in the door.

A large figure came into view. They wore a wine-red suit, and seemed to be dragging something large on the floor behind them. When I recognized the person as Zarkon my eyebrows furrowed and jaw clenched. I kept watching to see what Zarkon was carrying. I almost gasped when the sudden realization hit me.

It was Keith. It was hard to tell at first. His body was covered in all sorts of cuts, bruises, and what might have been burns. His hands were cuffed, and he was being dragged limply behind Zarkon. He wasn't an avian anymore, either. It looked like he had turned back to his normal self. Zarkon pulled a key out from a keychain attached to his belt, and opened the cell door. He practically threw Keith inside the cell. He landed the ground with a loud thump, and I could hear a quiet whimper escape his mouth.

"Keith..." I whispered unconsciously. Zarkon turned around abruptly, his eyes widened a little.

"Is someone there?" He shouted into the darkness. The four of us ducked behind the door so that he couldn't see us. Zarkon scanned the area for a moment, then turned back to Keith. I peeked back over the window to watch him. He slid a finger across a bar on the cell.