10- Homesick

I woke to a sweet smell coming from downstairs, and a bright light streaming in through the window. I squinted, and pulled the blanket over my head. After a few moments of trying to fall back asleep, my stomach growled. Fine, I'll get up. Then, as I pulled the blanket off me, I realized just how cold it was in the room. I quickly put on a shirt, and sleepily stumbled into the bathroom across the hall. I did my usual morning skincare routine, then walked downstairs, becoming more awake as the delicious smell of cookies filled the house. And was that hot chocolate?! I entered the kitchen to see Hunk working hard, and a fresh batch of cookies sitting on the counter.

"Oh my god, Hunk, I can't believe you made cookies for me!" I said in the happiest tone I could muster at this time, in order to ensure I got one. They were most likely not for me of course, but the Christmas party we were having tonight.

Hunk laughed, "Come on Lance, you know these aren't all for you, they're for the party. But I did make a few extra..."

I picked up a cookie off of the tray sitting on the counter, and wrapped my arms around my friend. "Thanks Hunk, you're the best." As I took a bite of the heavenly cookie(Hunk's were literally the best cookies I've ever had), there was a loud knock on the door, followed by three rings of the doorbell. I sighed, and opened the door to see Pidge standing there, along with Matt behind her. She looked very tired and held a cup of coffee. I gave them a confused look, as to why her and Matt were here this early.

"Hunk told us to come. No idea why," Pidge responded to my look as she walked in past me. Matt shrugged and followed behind her. Pidge grabbed three cookies; and handed one to Matt. Hit face lit up when he took a bite of it.

"Wow, these are the best cookies I've ever tasted! They're amazing!" He exclaimed.

"Hunk's secret recipe. He won't even tell me," I said.

"Yeah, and it'll stay that way. Anyways, glad you like them. I was going to serve them at the party tonight," Hunk said. He also placed four cups of hot chocolate on the counter. I smiled when I tasted it, it was delicious! I could also taste a hint of dulce de leche in it. Perfect.

"I'm going to need to buy a few things for the party, and need Pidge and Matt's help, that's why I invited you guys here," Hunk said.

"What do you need their help for that I can't help with?" I responded.

"It's technology-related. You wouldn't want to help, Lance."

"Oh." I would never admit it, but I was a little hurt that they hadn't even considered I'd want to help with whatever this was. Which I didn't, but I was still curious as to what it was.

"Ok, I'll help, but you owe me. Just for the future," Pidge said. She was also pouring her coffee into the hot chocolate. Typical Pidge.

Soon Hunk, Matt, and Pidge were on their way out. Matt saluted to me as they left, and the door closed behind them. Great. Now what was I supposed to do for the rest of the day? I sneaked a few more cookies before going back upstairs to get dressed. Only when I was about to leave did I think to look outside, and I saw the layer of snow that covered everything. I quickly pulled on my jacket, gloves, hat, and scarf(I got cold easily) and ran outside. I put out my hand, catching some snowflakes in it. The snow was beautiful, how it made everything sparkle, and was untouched in most places as it was early in the morning. It wasn't my first time seeing snow of course, I had seen it many times before, just that it was my very first Christmas that had snow. (It was Christmas Eve today, but that technically counted, right? I mean, we were celebrating today.) I looked around, and then decided I would check if the café was open. As I walk through the streets, it begins to dawn on me that it's also the first Christmas I have to spend away from my family. I choose to ignore that feeling for now, though, as I approach the café. I'm not surprised; it's closed.