Chapter 33

Chris

I came back too, after I threw up, and felt blankets surrounding me. My eyes slowly opened and I glanced around the darkened room, trying to pick up any surrounding objects, but... my eyes just wouldn't adjust.

"Glad you're awake," I heard someone enthusiastically say, my eyes glancing around the room to try and find the source. Though, my eyes struggled to adjust, even with the moonlight shining through the windows, I could still see the bright red eyes looking at me from across the room. "I thought that you were actually going to die. A shame too... really did want to have a snack."

"Wha..?" I huffed as I tried to sit up against the back of the bed frame, my side aching from the injury I had attained. My hand clasped over my side as I hissed in pain, all the memories rushing back to me. It sent my heart racing, and my breath rapid. "Who are you? Where am I? What happened to Hamilton, and the giants?"

"Calm down," the man said as he appeared at my bedside, startling me a little. I felt hypnotized by his red eyes as he hovered his hands over my wound, worried that he might worsen it. "You will injure yourself even more, you foolish child. It already took me a grand amount of energy to heal part of your injury, and you are going to throw it away, if you keep moving."

He placed a hand on my arm, and suddenly my body felt... calm?

"Who are you?" I asked as I tried to picture his face a little more clearly.

"My name is Euell," he said, letting out a small sigh after I shuffled in my spot, while trying to find a comfortable way to sit. "I am king of this castle, and you are now my personal aid, based on the agreements between Hamilton and myself."

My mouth opened and closed as I tried to figure out how to say 'no thanks,' but I couldn't get to it.

The king continued. "You belong to me, and shall be sleeping in this room from now on. It is your own personal quarters. You are permitted to go anywhere you please, except outside, unless asked upon me. If you are to abandon the castle at any moment, I will find you, and kill you. You understand?"

"I... I don't want to," I whispered as I clutched onto my shirt, not wanting to believe what he is saying. He seemed a little taken back at my words, but his hand clenching around my arm told a different story. "I didn't sign up for this. I have a family I need to protect! Don't you understand that they need me?"

"You belong to ME," he snapped, pushing himself away from the bedside. I heard a knock at the door, and he quickly hissed out, "You will do well to remember that."

The king turned towards the door, watching as a maid walked into the room. I slightly lifted my head, and watched her drop the items in her hand, before fleeing the room. It was as though she was also afraid of the man herself, like she was almost... human.

"Get up," Euell grumbled.

I tried to push myself up against the bed board, but my legs felt heavier than normal. I tried to push my feet against the bed, but it seemed as though I was unable to do so. I tried pinching them, but there was no feeling.

What was wrong with my legs?

"You are experiencing paralysis," Euell explained as he picked up the last of the dropped items. "I did not trust you to stay, so I hit one of your major pressure points. You should be able to walk after a few hours. So, don't fret."

Paralysis?

"It also is a way to relieve pain, in the vampire world," he sighed, moving back over to where I was. "You may think that we don't have feeling, because we are slightly selfish creatures... but, we care greatly for the wellbeing of others."