Chapter 29

Malissa

"Hamilton?" I whispered, rolling over in my sleep. "Are you awake?"

"It's night. What else would I be doing?" he hissed, from across the room. Then, sitting in a moment of silence, he quickly added. "What do you want?"

"I need to tell you something important," I whispered, pulling my blanket closer. "Is Jason asleep?"

There was a moment of silence, before Hamilton responded with a small "yes, but I think we should move outside, if it's so important that you don't want Jason to hear."

"Ok," I responded as I tossed my blanket off. "Meet me by the mushroom circle."

I slipped off the edge of the small bed, and silently made my way over to the entrance. Then as I looked over the edge, I took in a shuttered breath, and walked off the ledge; falling onto a large stock of grass, and sliding down it, and to the ground.

I yawned as I wandered over to the mushroom circle, before sitting down on the ground.

"Alright... I'm here..." Hamilton grumbled as he rubbed his eyes, looking a little tired himself. "What is it?"

I took in a shaky breath, before looking up at him with pity in my eyes. "I just want to say that I'm sorry for your loss, and I give you my condolences. I... I should have never let this happen, and I'm ashamed to say it's my fault."

"What are you talking about? Everyone's..."

He trailed off as he noticed the sincerity in my eyes, before realizing what I was talking about, and it hurt to see him place a hand over his eyes, so to cover up his emotions. "W-what... happened to them, and why?"

I placed a hand over my own face, to hide my own feelings about the situation as I thought of a good way to put the situation into a sentence. "It was a while ago... maybe a couple minutes, just before I had awoken in the Fairies Forest that I had a rather realistic dream."

"Was it a dream, or a... vision?"

"I believe it to be a vision, from another person's point of view. I know it started where I couldn't see anything... Nothing at all. It was just dark all around, except... a small sound.

I turned my head every different way, listening to the sounds of shouts and screams, when my feet were suddenly pushed against solid ground. My eyes had snapped open, with a bright light shining on me from above; blinding me.

I quickly lifted my arm to block the light as I concentrated on trying to see around me, before my brain came to a small conclusion.

Was I... on a stage?

I let my eyes adjust for a second, before I looked out, seeing hundreds of people cheering as they stared up at, not only me, but other people standing on the high platform too; looking out in shock at the large crowd.

"Get over here," someone growled, grabbing me by the arm, and yanking me towards the back of the stage, while my eyes glanced over the rope hung from the top post. "Move!"

He growled at me as he pushed me up onto a small stool, before wrapping the rope around my neck.

Am I going to be hanged?

.I struggled to move, to get off the stage, but my body refused the simple order as though I was already dead.

"LADIES AND GENTELMEN!" someone shouted, the whole crowd going quiet. "Thank you for joining us today! I would like to introduce our guests" – he slowly started pointing to different people as he walked down the aisle, naming them.

But when he got to me, he didn't shout out my name, he shouted out "Clare," before continuing on. It had caught my attention that maybe someone familiar was here. Like Triston, Tobi... or Carathal's family.

"Toritha!" The man shouted, my eyes snapping in the direction of the women, who had... tricked us.

I felt angry at her, but when I finally caught her face, I started to feel kind of... guilty. I mean, we were the ones who basically forced her to take us back to the place that she was trying to escape from, and yet, we ended up getting her trapped once again.

"On to the witches!" he shouted, jumping down from the stage, moving across to the other side of the room, before climbing onto another stage.

Without even needing to hear the names of my friends, I recognized Carathal, Thoth, and Trith instantly. They were tied to a large wooden pyramid, of sticks, and completely immobilized by these sickening people.

"On the count of three we will light our torch!" the man shouted, snatching a lit torch from a man nearby. "On a three!" – He brought the fire closer to the wood – "Two" – he looked towards the crown for a large uproar – "One!"

He tossed the fire into the wood pile, and I screamed as I watched the flames wrap around my friends, engulfing them in a blood curling death, just as the floor beneath me dropped, the rope tightening around my neck, and my mind going dark.

And that was when I woke up... Of course, it was like all my sadness had disappeared, and I just felt dead inside, or like it never really happened..."

I looked up at Hamilton, expecting a firm face, and anger about to come out of his mouth, but instead I saw him just stand there, with a shocked expression, and tears streaming down the side of his face. He was completely heart broken.

"Hamilton, I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean for this to happ-"

"Stop," Hamilton choked out. "Just. Stop. I don't want to talk about this... I'm going back to bed."

He covered his face with his hands, before walking away from me.

"I'm an idiot..." I muttered as I laid back into the ground, placing my arm over my eyes to cover my own tears.