A Thing Between Us

"WELCOME HOME!" the three members screamed into Zayn and Niall's ears the minute they stepped into the house. Louis' scream lasted ten seconds longer than the rest as he hollered the last syllable like a deranged banshee.

"Shut up, wanker," Niall laughed as he punched Louis in the arm, ending the scream with a squeak of surprise.

Liam threw his arms around both of them, holding them close against himself. The scent of his cologne filled Niall's senses. "It's so good to have the two of here, safe and sound," Liam exhaled deeply. "Things can finally be normal again."

"Welcome home, children," Harry squeezed himself into the group hug, nuzzling his face into Zayn's neck briefly. "I missed you."

"We made you a special dinner!" Louis said excitedly. "So you better be hungry."

"Liam did most of the work," Harry admitted. "But I test-tasted it!"

Zayn laughed as he followed them to the dining table. He noticed the odd distance between Louis and Harry tonight. It was strange not to see them physically touching in some way or form all the time. Deciding not to say anything, he sat down. Niall took a seat beside him, picking up the polished silver cutlery. The spoon trembled in his hands, and he sighed.

Zayn helped him to steady the shaking. "It's alright," he said kindly. "The doctor said that the effect of the coma was going to slow down some motor skills."

Niall shrugged as he tried to pick the spoon up properly. His fingers were numb, and it slid between the spaces, landing with a clang on the table.

"A little practice is all it takes," Zayn told him, gently helping Niall to fold his fingers tightly around the spoon and lift it up. It didn't fall the third time.

"Here it issssss," Louis sang as he danced into the room, his cologne reaching them four seconds before the boy himself. He was donning the most feminine image of a man wearing an apron that Niall had ever seen. He set the huge plate onto the table and lifted the cover. The scent of tender chicken spilled over the table sensuously.

"One glass each, on me," Harry declared as he carried a bottle of champagne to the table.

"To Zayn and Niall," Liam grinned, popping the bottle as it fizzed out the top. "Being safe, sound and happy at home."

They cheered, and Liam poured the sparkling foamy drinks into the glasses and gave them to the boys as they each took a sip. Louis began cutting chunks of the chicken up and shared it around. "I feel like Mother Teresa," he said, dosing out the chicken to everyone. "I may have finally marked a good deed in my cosmic tally board."

"Mother Teresa was the epitome of kindness and charity, Louis," Liam rolled his eyes. "Hearing you compare yourself to her feels like, like some kind of a personal offense."

"She's actually criticized for her views against contraception," Harry pointed out, swallowing a mouthful of potato. "She didn't like abortion, either, even in cases of sexual abuse or rape."

Louis narrowed his eyes at him. "Will you stop being such a killjoy?"

Harry looked away, setting his jaw and not responding.

"Are the two of you honestly still fighting?" Niall asked, looking incredulously at them. "This is some kind of world record or something. What the fuck is up between you?"

"Nothing's up," Louis said lightly. "I just told Harry to stop being a killjoy."

"Under normal circumstances you'd be throwing glitter out of his arsehole and swooning at him for his extensive range of completely useless knowledge."