Birthday/Sleepless

--

Louis let out a disgruntled sigh.

"Niall," he sighed, sounding the most stressed that Niall possibly had ever seen him, "do you even know how to wrap a fucking birthday present?"

Niall glanced down at the messily wrapped gift. "I think it's more personalized this way."

Louis took a deep breath, his eyes rising to meet Niall's when he exhaled. "My best friend and occasional jerk-off buddy is turning nineteen in seven minutes, and you're going to give him a gift that's wrapped like that?"

"I like it," Zayn offered. "Looks very - " he paused for a moment, waiting for the right word, "handmade."

Liam was setting the table, but he stopped to let out a short laugh. "I think as long as Niall put all of his heart into it, Harry will love it."

Louis narrowed his eyes. "The only heart going into this will be Niall's cardiovascular veins, after I tear them out and drape them around his gift as a peace offering."

"Okay, you know what," Niall said, setting the present down suddenly. "I think you need to take a seat and close your eyes for a moment because you are stressing yourself out beyond your own breaking point."

Louis sighed again, his eyes falling shut. "I haven't slept in two days."

"Yes, I think we can all tell, and I am also slightly suspicious about the amount of caffeine you have ingested over the last forty-eight hours," Niall said, raising his eyebrows. "But really, Louis. Harry said he didn't want us to make a big deal over his birthday this year. He insisted that we do absolutely nothing at all to celebrate. Try to keep it understated, yeah?"

Louis gestured weakly at the calming tones of aqua and light gold from the streamers and banners that he'd painstakenly hung around the massive living room. "Do you see a dancing elephant shooting canonballs in here? This is understated."

Zayn doubtfully kicked at one of the hundreds of blue balloons inundated over the ground. "There looks to be something fundamentally wrong with your understanding of that word."

"Alright, well, sue me for wanting to give my best friend, and occasional jerk-off buddy, a nice nineteenth birthday party," Louis huffed, sinking into the nearest chair. "But clearly, none of you appreciate Harold the way I do."

"That's a little personal," Zayn laid a hand over his heart, letting out an offended gasp.

"Four minutes!" Liam called out, finishing his arrangement of cutlery at the dining table. "Everyone ready?"

"Oh, fuck," Louis sat up again suddenly. "Get the cake out. I'll need to wake Harry. Zayn - the lights, get the lights! And Jesus, Niall, put your present in the pile so it's not just lying in the middle of the room like a point-blank target."

Niall did as he was told immediately, pushing Louis toward the stairs. He could feel the excitement building up, watching Louis sprint up the stairs breathlessly.

"Go get him, Louis! It's going to work out great."

--

Two minutes later, Harry was awoken by the gentle tap of cool fingers on the nape of his neck. His eyes flipped open, and he turned onto his side to find Louis sitting beside him on the bed, dark smudged circles under his eyes and a hint of coffee in his breath.

"Hey, you," he murmured, angling himself more comfortably, so that his head was lying on Louis' thigh. "What's up?"

"Just came to inform you that it's nearly midnight, and to thank you for gracing this world with your wonderful self for the past six thousand, nine hundred, thirty nine point six days," Louis smiled, gliding the edge of his knuckles gently across Harry's jaw.