First meeting

"No Mom, you can't do this to me. It's NOT fair!"

Kelsie hated her parents, her father especially. She hated them because they were both druggies and they constantly had to move because of the risk of discovery by the police. Kelsie knew what police were like - one-on-one, questions, lights, more questions - and she certainly didn't want to go though any more of that, but to move again, that would be twice in three months. Kelsie knew she had the worst life out of all the year 11's from Tawa High.

"Kelsie," her mother yelled from the bottom of the stairs. "PLEASE don't leave your bags by the back door, put-them-in-the-car!"

"WHATEVER MOM!" Kelsie screamed back.

But Kelsie did - after about half-an-hour - haul her enormous non-wheeled suitcase, out to the car. The car was a washed-out-red 1970's toyota. Kelsie didn't think her parents would ever replace the damned thing.

She fished out the spare key from her back pocket and shoved it in the key hole. It wouldn't turn. No matter how much she yanked, pulled, twisted, bent or disembowled the key, it wouldn't budge. After this 'battle' had been going on for a while, a young man walked by and offered Kelsie a hand.The moment he touched the key, it turned without a stuggle.

"I could have done that," murmured Kelsie, embarrassed.

"Huh," he shrugged back. "Well, I'm off. It was nice meeting you...um...Kelsie, right?"

"Yeah, Kelsie," she replied, slipping her bag into the boot. "See ya."

And he left.

First chapter, I know. To short, to short. Bare with!!