The Connor Chronicles IV: Play Dates (2016)

After the movie date, I wasn't really sure if Connor wanted to hang out again. Little did I know, she surprised me with a 'good morning' text.

We went back and forth, mostly about upcoming shows at my local theatre and she told me about shows from her local theatre. She went on and told me about the upcoming show that Kathryn was in, and subtly invited me to go with her. We made it a date. However, I did hesitate. It all seemed nice and fun but I knew that Audrey was a part of the cast, too (see Two Weeks). I didn't want to approach her again. I knew I didn't have to talk to her, and I wasn't going to the show for her, but I knew with how outgoing she was that she'd approach me anyways. I was right.

However, I decided to go regardless. I wanted to spend time with Connor, and no history would stop me.

Connor's theatre looks like my theatre, just cleaner and more cared for. It was about the same size, seating roughly 200-300, and had a balcony. Of course, we went to the balcony. I made sure to hold her hand, and this time, she didn't have tacos. She grabbed it back, and it was nice.

Before the show, during intermission, and afterwards, she told me horror stories that the theatre has experienced. I would later find out that her grandparents were the owners of the theatre. It was weird to see such a nice place experience flooding, rats, hobos, and fires.

We caught with Kathryn after the show and then we talked about how it went. Audrey showed up and made small talk. I made short and vague answers to end the conversation, and thank God that I didn't catch feelings again. I didn't even want to be friends with her anymore, like how I'm still friends with Sarah (see Felt Sorry For Me). I brushed her off, and soon I was back to focusing on Connor.

We headed home soon after our conversation with Kathryn. She was wiped, and still had to change out of costume and had class the next day. We went our separate ways, but it was a good day.

Because she introduced me to her theatre, I had to do the same. I invited her to come see Cats with me at Sampson, and bam, another date.

We decided beforehand that we were gonna take some more balcony seats. I buy some concessions, gave her hers, and I lead the way upstairs. However, I forgot how to walk up some stairs and I trip over a step going up. I fall, kick back, and hit Connor's Sprite can. It flies out, and hits the wall behind us. Luckily, it wasn't open, but I proceeded to buy her a new one to avoid the caffeinated explosion that would follow upon opening that can. I didn't want to risk that, so I played it safe. We were both laughing about the situation, but a part of me was in pain at how I kicked her can out of her hand. I spilled a couple popcorn kernels, but they were my own.

So, it was the same thing, but reversed roles. Hands held, stories told, friends introduced. I remember introducing her to my friends backstage, and my friends would give me glances of approval when she wasn't looking. I bragged at how pretty and beautiful she was, inside and out.

We made the can-kung-fu an ongoing joke, but inside I still cringed at my loss of balance.

I was constantly worried she'd leave me every time we talked, just because I was me. I like to think that that was healthy to be concerned, but now, looking at it in retrospect, I learned that that constant worry was me knowing that it wasn't going to last, and Connor's story was going to end. I was scared of believing it.