Chapter 12

"What do you mean you can't decode it?!

Alyssa huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. They went through all the trouble of getting the damn Courser chip only to bring it back to Amari for her to tell them that she couldn't decode it.

Amari let out her own sigh, handing the Courser chip back to her friend. "Calm down." She muttered before rubbing her temple. "I can't decode it, but there is a group that may be able to. Have you heard of the Railroad?"

The Railroad. She'd heard of them in passing, but never really bothered to try and find them herself. Hell, from what little she's gathered on them, they were crazy synth lovers. Set on destroying the Institute, of course, but in the process they wanted to rescue every Synth they could.

"I've heard of them, yeah."

"Look, they have a phrase 'Follow the Freedom Trail' It should lead you right to their headquarters. They have the tech that should help decode the chip along with the right guy to do it." Amari explained further, grabbing a gauze pad and disinfectant.

Alyssa dropped her arms to her side for a moment before moving her hair to the side, exposing the wound on her ear lobe. "Cool... I get to run around Boston some more." She complained, wincing as the doctor pressed the pad against her ear.

Nick came to his friends side, gently placing a hand on her shoulder. "You're close, Lyss. You know that." He spoke.

"I know, Nick." She muttered. "I just want this to be done and over with so I can get on with my life, hopefully raising my son."

"You won't be doing anything if you keep putting yourself at risk." Amari chimed in, placing a bandage on her friends ear. "Stop."

This earned a light laugh. "I appreciate you caring." She responded, grazing her fingers over the small bandage.

"Speaking of, how's your shoulder feeling?"

"I... hardly feel it. It's honestly been the last thing on my mind with everything else."

Nick cocked a brow. His friend hadn't really told anyone about what happened in Med-Tek, how she nearly died helping MacCready. The only people who even knew were of course MacCready, but Hancock, Arthur, and Amari as well."

Alyssa glanced over to her Synth friend before sighing. "I... got bit by a ghoul 2 weeks back." She confessed. "While helping MacCready."

"2 weeks ago and still no feeling? So the nerve damage might actually be permanent." Amari spoke, crossing her arms. "Before you leave Goodneighbor, I want another look at it. Just to make sure it's no infected or anything."

"Fine." She agreed, glancing towards Nick before heading towards the doorway. "I'm gonna head to the Third Rail for a bit, grab a few drinks before getting a room at Rexxford for the night." The synth nodded. "I'll see you in the morning then, right?"

"Of course." She smiled. "You're in this with me until the end, remember?"

Nick watched his friend leave before turning towards Amari. "She's going to be okay, you and I know that this is a lot for her right now." He spoke, taking a seat on the bench near the doorway. Watching her leave? It made him feel a little sad. Her feelings? It wasn't just about avenging her dead husband anymore. She's lost so much more then probably anyone that's in the whole Commonwealth.

There was just one issue he was dealing with. Alyssa, his friend that he's known for quite awhile now, was going to gun down two men in cold blood. Granted, they were Gunners, but they weren't fighting back. They were tied up and weren't going to do anything to them.