Chapter 7

Her eyes opened with a start, blinking a few times at the sunlight that was shining in through the boarded up windows. Her body had felt an odd aching sensation, causing her hand to go towards her lower abdomen and rubbing it gently.

The door opened slowly, causing her to sit up quickly and cover her body with the blankets. "Oh, hey. You're awake."

MacCready.

"Yeah..." She muttered softly before glancing towards his hands that held a few things of water as well as some boxes of cereal. "What-"

"I though you'd be hungry...or thirsty. Which ever." He spoke, walking to the bed and sitting on the edge. "After last night."

"Yeah...Thanks." She muttered, taking a water from him and sipping it.

"So...where we off to today?"

"MacCready, I-I think it's best we...part ways for a little while."

His eyes softened, a look of hurt coming into them. "W-What?"

"I-I need to head back to the Brotherhood and make sure Maxson knows I'm alive. He's probably freaking out and throwing a tantrum."

"So?"

"So? MacCready I just-"

"You regret last night, don't you."

He sighed before standing a biting his lower lip, crossing his arms. "I knew this would happen. I knew that-"

"I-I don't regret it...I just-"

He turned away before grabbing his rifle from the corner as well as his bag. "You don't need to explain yourself." Her eyes watched him approach the door. "You know, it wasn't the beer talking when I said I loved you."

Alyssa stood, wrapping herself in the blanket. "I... know. Look, MacCready I just don't want us to get involved right now. I-I don't want to get involved with anymore." That was a fucken lie.

She wanted Maxson. It wasn't so much that she regretted everything they did last night, as much as she just didn't know what to say to MacCready. She knew that he loved her and as wrong as it felt, she just...

"Why not? After everything the two of us have been through?"

Her eyes had tears piercing the corners, threatening to fall with each passing word the two of them exchanged. "P-Please, MacCready..."

"What? You don't want me to be mad or upset, do you?"

"No." She gritted her teeth. "How can you stand there and be fucken selfish?! Do you not realize the shit I'm still trying to process? How can you think that I'd just fall in love with you like that? After I've lost my husband? You've lost your wife, how can you just-"

"Just what?! Be in love again? I love Lucy and I will never stop. She's the mother of my child, my pride and joy. But she's dead and gone and I need to get over it. Telling you that I... love you was one of the hardest things I've had to do in such a long time. I've told you things that I've never told anyone because I felt that close to you. You've helped me survive through a lot of tough shit."

"MacCready..."

"Stop... talking. Stop trying to make excuses." He let out a sigh. "I'll... head back up to Sanctuary and give you some space. That's what you want, right?"

"Yeah...."

The two of them exchanged a final glance before MacCready finally opened the door with a sigh. "Make sure you get your shoulder looked at... before it grows an infection." He spoke before finally heading out of the hotel.