Epilogue: "And In The End..."

• Dedicated to John, Paul, George and Ringo <3

A year passed before my fears were confirmed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a month after I returned, my mom and dad had another fight.  Kirby and I were hiding up in my room, trying to block out the noise when I heard a voice.  John's voice.  

When you get home, you kick that bastard of a father out.

"I can't." I whimpered.  

Go!

Hearing my mother shout sent me over the edge.  

He wasn't going to hurt us anymore.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, I never laid a hand on my father.  I let the police do that.  Before confronting him downstairs, I called the neighbors and asked them to call the authorities.  When I did talk to him, I held the phone up the air, threatening him that I would call the police.  

But they came before anyone else could get hurt.  I was recording the fight between the three of us as evidence against him.  

Dad was gone.  It was easier to sleep at night for all of us.  

Even Kirby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A month or so later, on a rainy summer evening, I was eating soup and watching TV in the living room when a news report caught my eye.  The newswoman was chattering about newfound original lyric sheets to songs and pictures.  The song lyrics had some interesting new dedications.  

"It was always said that John Lennon wrote his famous song 'In My Life' about his childhood memories and friends, but there appears to be another name listed on the back of the paper that hasn't been identified.  According to the press, the paper says 'Elle'."  

I dropped my spoon.  

The male news anchor said, "And new photographs of the Beatles have been unearthed, and it seems as though one of the members had a girlfriend that no one knew about."  Cue in a picture of Paul and I kissing, and another of John and I laughing together.  

Touching my necklace, I wondered if I was still dreaming.  Or was I going mad?  Would I wake up in a hospital?

Or was I dead?

"And on the back of these photographs, it says, for example, 'Paul and Elle.'" The man turned to his female counterpart.  "Do you think she's one of their girlfriends?"  The woman shrugged and said she wasn't sure.  They said the pictures would be auctioned off.  I felt sick to my stomach.  

Summer 2013 flew by, and soon I was back in school, staring junior year.  The girl who's locker was next to mine was loudly announcing to her friends all of the fabulous things she did, including getting third row seats at the Austin Mahone concert she went to.  She directed that comment at me, which made me secretly roll my eyes.  Bitch, please.

If only she knew...

Around Christmas I went to stay with my grandmother, which was my favorite time to visit her.  She always had her apartment decorated wonderfully.  

It was late that night, and I felt like I was on the brink of the abyss, staring down into the darkness like I did that night in Paris.  I was sure that I was going to lose it then and there, clutching my rain drop locket.  My mother had asked where I got it, and I said at store at a shopping mall.  She never asked what was inside it, but if she did I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to reveal it to her.