Chapter Twenty

George's POV

Elle didn't come with Paul to rehearsal the next day.  It made George feel horrible.  Was she so embarrassed she couldn't stand to see him?  

Had Paul found out?  

Afraid to speak up, he had a heart attack when Paul clapped him on the back and said good morning.  He certainly didn't seem upset, and George mumbled a short reply.  

Brian had called saying they were running late, and all the lads relaxed in the practice room.  Paul looked incredibly anxious, which, of course, made George nervous.  Was he just waiting to get George alone, and then bring the hammer down? 

"John?" Paul asked him.  

"What?"

"Do you think I'm a good kisser?"  

George's heart was racing as he looked through some of his music.  Keep calm, he told himself.  Don't give yourself away.

John propped his feet up onto a table.  "Now, why would I know that?"

"Would you think I'm a good kisser?" 

"Kiss Ritchie.  He'll tell." 

Ringo just shrugged and continued to smoke.  

"Why are you asking?" George said, cautiously.  He didn't want to sound irritated, just curious.  

"Well, um...last night, I was, um, kissing Elle and all of a sudden she just stopped and pulled away.  She almost seemed angry with me.  I just don't understand it." Paul twirled a pencil in his fingers, looking puzzled.   

George dropped his sheet music and it flew all over the floor.  Ringo bent down to help him pick it up.  John muttered, "Klutz."

"Did you say anything to her?" Ringo asked Paul.  Paul shook his head, but then hesitated.  

"I think I remember saying, 'You're so beautiful.  I'm so lucky to have you as my girl.'  But I was just complementing her, right?  I can't see anything wrong with that." He explained.  

George froze as he continued to pick up papers.  John hesitated before lighting his cigarette.  So many vulgar words went through George's mind...

Elle felt guilty for something that he did, and now Paul was upset over it.  She must have not told him what was wrong.  She had kept George's little secret.   

"Well, mate," John said, after taking a long drag on his cigarette, "I know why she wouldn't kiss you."

George's heart stopped.  He almost dropped his papers again.  "What the hell are you doing!" He wanted to shout.  But he just stood there, silently, waiting for John to tell Paul the awful truth.  He waited for Paul, his best mate, to look at him like he was disgusting and below him.  

"What is that?" Paul inquired, looking up at him.  Ringo even took interest, and stopped tapping his legs with his drumsticks.  

"Your breath probably was horrible and she couldn't have been more disgusted," he twirled his smoking cigarette in his fingers before snuffing it out.  "Or she realized that disgusting was your true self."  George and Ringo forced laughter.  Paul smiled at John's snarky remark.  

The air in the room seemed ice cold after that.  Soon, Brian and George Martin arrived and they got to work.  But right before they started singing, George caught John's eye.  The expression on his face read, I just saved your ass.  But I can put it on the line again. 

Elle's POV

Paul came home with flowers and more paperwork for me to do.  Fun.