Chapter Fifty-Seven

It had been another few days before I had another fainting spell.  Only this time, George wasn't around to recognize what was wrong; it was Paul.  I was making tea with him, for he was growing quite homesick for England, and no matter how long I took my locket off so he could look at it, the feeling refused to go away.  

As soon as the dizziness hit me, I could barely move.  Luckily I stumbled backwards so I wouldn't fall forward into the kettle of boiling water.  But unfortunately, I ran into Paul, who didn't know I had fainted, so he backed away and I hit the ground.  He told me later he was so scared when I fell, but I told him I didn't feel it.  I reassured him that I was asleep before I hit the floor.  

But that didn't stop him from insisting that I rested the entire day.  Sigh.

I loved Paul, but sometimes he could be a bit of a handful.  

Especially before a show.  The night after I fainted I was helping fix Paul's hair before they had to perform, and he kept insisting that I was doing it wrong, even though it was what the other hairdressers were doing.  I would fix it up and then he'd smooth it so it looked uneven.  "Elle, it looks stupid."

"No it doesn't, Paul.  Stop being a diva." At my mentioning of the "D-word", as the lads like to call it, Paul looked back at me, a shocked expression on my face.  "Excuse me?" He said, and the expression on his face made it look like he wasn't joking at all, however I could see past it.  

"You've been excused," I said, stepping aside and pointing to the stage door.  John and Ringo were both amused, and I swore I saw George try to hide a smile.  Paul looked like he was about to flip the table.  

Giving me a look that only girls who are about to tear each other apart give, he snapped, "You little bitch."  I could tell that John was starting to worry about how much of this game was real and how much of it wasn't, and I saw him tense slightly.  But I gave him a small look of reassurance, and then shot a glare at Paul.  "You're not much to talk, wanker."

We both stared at each other for so long and with so much intensity John reached towards me to somehow protect me.  But then Paul and I just about lost our minds laughing so hard.  John, George and Ringo looked relieved.  I wondered that if I wasn't me, would Paul have really meant what he said?

Paul and I were so loud Brian came inside.  Once he saw that we weren't murdering each other or doing anything else that would ruin the lads' careers, he told them to hurry onto the stage.  I hurried to get my notebook to document what Brian told me to do.  

Oh, we always seemed to have so much fun.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, John came into my room, which wasn't necessarily uncommon, but normally Paul or Ringo came too.  George still kept his distance.  

He sat down on my bed for a moment, but then in the next moment I was wrapped in his embrace, trapped.  And though I knew John meant to be gentle, I was afraid that someone would see.  "John-"

"Elle, you've made amends with Paul, and now he's happy and fine with you.  Why can't you give me a chance?"  It was the most vulnerability I had ever seen him show, and I was worried that I might cry.  

"John, I love you.  I love all of you, and I'd love to give you a chance, but..."  How was I suppose to explain everything that would happen to him between Cynthia, Julian and Yoko?  Not to mention that he should have been already married to Cynthia and Julian should have been born.  

Oh, God...

"But what?" He pressed.  

I bit my lip, and began to try and tell a tale that I wished I never had to say.  "You would have had a son, back before the Ed Sullivan show.  You would have been married.  But there's going to be another woman, and she'll be your true love.  And...maybe you will somehow marry that girl and have your first son with her."  But then I turned to look him in the eyes.  Those beautiful eyes, which I had seen both threaten and love.  "And if you have this son, or any children, show them a bit of compassion.  Remind them that you're also their dad and not someone they see in magazines all over.  Tell Julian every once in awhile that you love him!" I nearly shouted, which startled the both of us.  Though I hated shouting at anyone, there was always that part of John's life that some admirers try their hardest to ignore.  The point in time where John abandoned Cynthia and Julian when they needed him.