Chapter Thirty-Nine

Waking up in the morning before the lads had its advantages.  I was able to take a relaxing shower before my date with John, and attempt to curl my hair.  Because I hadn't the slightest clue to what he had planned, I wore the blue dress I knew John liked, and tights because I knew it was cold out.  

And before I left the bathroom, I sprayed on the tiniest amount of perfume I could.  It was one I had got during the tour, and I was rather fond of it so I wanted it to last.  

The boys had woken up by then.  John and Paul were down eating breakfast at the cafe.  Ringo was getting ready in his room.  George was about to leave the room when I walked into the living area.  

"You look nice today.  What's the occasion?"  It was the first time he had spoken to me in awhile, and I was surprised that he was talking to me.  

"This afternoon I'm going on a date with John," I stated, holding my hands together in front of me, as if I was a teacher instructing a student.  

George pulled on his jacket, the smile vanishing from his face.  "And I'm supposed to be alright with this?  I'm just supposed to give you my permission?"

"You didn't ask for my permission when you flirted with Miss America on the flight here, now, did you?" I snapped.  As much as I hated to admit it, that little incident wounded me.  I fancied George, and the thought of him seeing other girls hurt me.  But on that plane ride he didn't seem to give one care about what I thought.  "If I wasn't there, you two would have been snogging behind the refreshments cart by the time we were landing."

His face flushed red with anger.  "Maybe we would have, Elle."  The little retort caused a cry to build up in my throat, and he knew it.  "Oh, does that bother you, now?"

"Not one bit.  I'm going out with John, and we're going to have an amazing time." I gave my best fake smile.  Feeling absolutely evil, I said, with a piteous look on my face, "Does that bother you, George?"

"Not the slightest, Elle.  You can forget about everything I told you a few nights ago.  All lies.  Maybe John will find something he likes about you," He gave a mocking smile, and strolled out the door to meet the other lads.  

If I had been wounded by George flirting with other girls, him saying everything he told me was a lie killed me.  I felt like I had been shot in the chest, straight through the heart.  It took everything I had for me not to cry, and I waited for Ringo to get ready so I could walk downstairs with him.  

George didn't say a word to me the entire day, and into the night.

George's POV

God, damn you, George Harrison.  How could you say something like that?

My anger subdued me from apologizing all throughout the morning.  I wouldn't even look in her direction.  She certainly didn't seem happy, though if she was sad she hid it quite well.  

You are an incompassionate asshole.

I had never said crueler words in my life to a girl.  I practically said I hated her.  

I could never hate you.

I caught her looking at me once or twice during the time I saw her that day.  Whenever she looked away her eyes were misty, like she was on the verge of tears.  How could I be so heartless?  I had promised her I would never leave her.  I told her I loved her.  

But a small voice in my headed chided my anger on.  She's being unfaithful.  She deserves to be alone.  I avoided her eyes when she tried to catch my gaze.  I would refuse to apologize.  I would leave her to her solitude.  She deserved to feel loneliness.