Chapter Thirty

"I just think we should add him to the list," Kate told me with a shrug. I was heated, to say the least. Ivelyn and Kate both thought Daniel should be added to our "list" of potential killers. I scoffed at the both of them, unable to even for once second think Daniel could do something like that. This is exactly why I wasn't going to tell them about the "rumors" of the Curse from Sarah Good to all of those born from Magistrate Hawthorne.

They would just blow it out of proportion.

"You're being ridiculous, Daniel is not the killer." I had been trying to explain to all of them the many reasons Daniel wasn't the killer. One, he couldn't be a Draug because they had seen him grow up and he was always out in the sunlight. Second, he was always with me and he had never bitten me. Kate kept preaching away that Draug had no self-control, so there was no way Daniel was one of them.

"I understand you're boning the guy, but that doesn't mean we can remove him from the list." Ivelyn was sitting on the table, legs hanging over the edge with a sucker in her mouth. She was wearing a short skirt, tank top and a faux leather jacket. It wasn't totally her style, but it suited her. Despite her small stature, she carried a badass power that I envied.

"I'm not--

I stopped because all eyes were on me at that very moment. As much as I hated to admit it, Daniel and I were doing anything like what they were insinuating. Sure, we made out and boy did we make out. It never went past that. Someone was always interrupting us. I scratched the back of my neck, wishing we were talking anything other this.

"Oh." Ivelyn was giving me the only compassionate look she had, which was mostly a mixture of confusion. "Well, um, you know what she meant." She finally finished. I wanted to bury my head. It wasn't like I was a virgin. Daniel and I just weren't there yet.

"I'm telling you it isn't Daniel. He isn't a Draug because duh and he isn't a Halfling because he always demonstrates self-control with me. You're wrong." I explained swiftly. However, they were dead set on him being a part of the list. I watched as Kate wrote his name on the whiteboard.

"Sorry, we can't take him off the list just because you're dating him." I rolled my eyes. They said I didn't have enough proof to take him off the list, but they didn't have any proof to put him on the list, to begin with. I glared at his name, scrawled in Kate's chicken scratch. Her dad, Ryan, sat quietly in the corner, scanning the pages of an old journal from a Witch even older than The Trials.

"Okay, fine, whatever, but why is he on the list? No one has even tried to explain that to me." Mir looked uncomfortable, zipping up her hoodie and hiding inside. She hated conflict. It would be nice to have her on my side, especially the way Kate and Ivelyn dug into me. Speaking of, I watched the two of them lock eyes. They had this annoying habit of merely looking at each other and somehow communicating. I was convinced it was a spell, but everyone assured me it wasn't.

"First girl that was attacked, where was Daniel?" Ivelyn asked, hopping off the table walking towards me. She tossed her sucker in the trash behind me. "Right, he was there. What about the second girl, Michelle? Right, he was at the Halloween Party too. Then, there's the party at The Docks, which he bailed on you to go to. When did he finally call you? Was it the next day? Did he call you as he was draining Rachel and you were tucked into bed?" Her face was a few inches from my face now. Her eyes, usually lima bean green, flickered with orange flames. I took a step backward, my back hit a pillar.

"I was there at the library with Daniel. I also was at the Halloween Party, which was your party by the way." I raised my voice, straining to control my temper.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ryan get up. He sighed in what sounded like an annoyance.

"Ivelyn, calm down. Cornelia isn't on trial here. If you all really think it is Daniel than you need proof. We aren't re-creating the Salem Witch Trials, okay?" Ivelyn reluctantly backed off.