Chapter Eighteen

It was Halloween and my sixteenth birthday. The best part was that it was a Friday and there wasn't any school. It turns out, the town was even crazier about Halloween than they were the Trials, so no school. It was nice -- I got to sleep in and celebrate my birthday with my family before Ivelyn's party later tonight. Gran went all out, which was surprisingly wonderful. Usually, we didn't really do anything. Mom would let me pick out what place I wanted to go to for dinner and they would give me money to buy whatever I wanted, but it never really felt like a birthday.

However, that was all about to change, Gran assured me. This year, she baked me a birthday cake, which was my favorite: yellow cake with milk chocolate frosting. She also made my favorite breakfast: Strawberry French toast and non-meat sausage. It was amazing to wake up to. Mom even remembered it was my birthday. She came into the kitchen as Gran and I were eating, Dara was still sleeping. 

"I can't believe you're sixteen, makes me feel so old." Mom said as she sipped her coffee. It was barely seven o'clock but she was already on her third cup of coffee and dressed in a grey pantsuit. She said grey was her power color. 

"Imagine what it's like when your granddaughter is sixteen," Gran told my mom. Today, Gran was back to normal. I had truly missed her and her charisma. It would be torture if Gran and I couldn't talk the way we used to. She was my favorite family member, as bad as that sounded.

"That better no happen anytime soon." She was looking directly at me when she said this. I acted innocent and continued to eat my breakfast. "Anyways, this is from your father and I. Happy Birthday, Cornelia." She handed me the traditional white envelope. There was a thin card that said "happy birthday" and on the inside would by my mom and dad's professional signatures and a crisp check. 

This year was nearly double of what I received last year. My eyes widened. 

"I think you guys made a mistake, this is--

"This has been a hard year on everyone and you have been extremely reasonable. I want you to know that I really appreciate that." I smiled although I felt sick. It was a nice gesture and I knew my mom meant well, but I wasn't someone they could buy off. My love and "acting reasonable" wasn't something they could pay me to do. Gran squeezed my hand, understanding exactly how I felt.

"Dorothy, you do know you can't buy love, right?" My mom didn't say anything, just finished her cup of coffee. Then, poured herself another cup and exited the room. "When she was younger we weren't that well off. We were never poor and we always had food on the table, but she always wanted more. Her father, God rest his soul, but he spoiled the girls. I think it left a mark on her that was unintended." I sighed, slipping the check back into the card and then into the envelope. It was so I could focus on something else, trying to push the tears away.

"I know she means well, but it makes me feel," I trailed off, searching for the right words. "I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I would rather get a heartfelt card than money." Gran frowned and pulled me in for a hug. I wasn't sure why this year felt so emotional. I had received those cards and checks my whole life, but this year was different. 

I was starting to realize that. 

"What time does Addie come over?" Gran asked me in her flowery voice. I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear. Then I wiped the fallen tears from my cold cheeks. It was my birthday, I shouldn't be crying.

"Not for a couple more hours." We didn't really set on a time. I had told her any time after noon was okay with me. "That's okay, right?" I had figured it would be okay, but I still wanted to make sure. My Gran just liked being in the loop. Speaking of, I hadn't really told her about Daniel and I going out on a date. She knew we studied a lot together and sometimes we went out to eat afterward.