Chapter Two

My alarm clock lets out a piercing cry, alerting me that it was time to get up. I jolted awake, springing into an upright position. My eyes burned, and as I was blinking the sleep away I had a sudden urge of panic. Where am I? For a split second, I had forgotten where I was. I wasn't waking up in my bedroom in New York. I was in Salem and it was quiet. My fingers searched around me in hopes to find something familiar, but all they grasped was a handful of red silk.

Flashes of yesterday filled my brain, and one word swept over my head causing butterflies to stir inside my stomach: Daniel.

The dreamy boy from yesterday and the pull that literally gravitated me towards him. None of it made sense and I was still reeling from how I had acted. I brushed my fingers through my hair and drug my feet over to the shower.

It was the first day of school here in Salem and I was petrified. My heart was practically bouncing in my chest from nerves. I didn't even have an outfit picked out. Now, that I was meeting with Daniel I needed the perfect outfit. Aimlessly, I stared into the abyss called my closet.

Ironically, I plucked an outfit out of the closet that my mom had bought me. Of course, I had to add my own charm to it. Once I was done o stared at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a two-piece set. The top and skirt that was red with black and gold embroidery. It was a little chilly out, so I added thin black tights and black combat boots. My hair was pulled up in a high ponytail. I was adding the final touches to my make up when there was a knock at my door. I knew before I said "come in," that it was my mom. She had a certain way she knocked and she never waited for a response before opening the door.

She looked me up and down and sighed.

"When I bought that outfit I thought, "there's no way she can make such a cute outfit goth," but you always surprise me." It wasn't exactly endearing how she put that, but it wasn't exactly an insult either. This was how my mom and I interacted.

I put on a fake smile, "thanks, mom." I told her cheerfully. Usually, she would have pretended it was a compliment and walked away. This time, I wasn't so fortunate.

She passed the threshold and had her hands clasped in front of her. "Cornelia," I took a deep breath in, trying to prepare myself for her disapproving pep talk. "This isn't New York." I stared at her, confused.

"Um, yeah I know that." I started to spin the silver band on my thumb.

"What I mean is, this place is different than New York. The people here, they care about what their neighbors look and dress like. You're such a beautiful girl, but you dress like that: so dark and goth. What are you trying to tell people?" My eyes widened. My mom had always kind of teased me about my dark clothes and heavy eyeliner, but she had never laid into me like this. I was stunned, sitting there with a black eyeliner pencil hanging limply in my left hand.

I opened my mouth to say something but then shut it.

"I just know these people -- I went to school with the parents of the kids you're going to meet today. Plus, you're a Solart -- that means something here." I stared down at my scuffed up combat boots with the faded yellow laces. I didn't understand why in Salem I wasn't allowed to dress how I wanted.

Usually, I would have silently nodded and changed my clothes. I hated making waves. Even more, I hated fighting with my mom, so I avoided confrontation at all cost. Not this time, this place is different. I am different. I'm tired of suppressing my feelings. I clenched my fist, causing half moons to develop on my palms.

I met her gaze with a glare.

"I'm not afraid, why are you?" It was the most defiant I had been in a long time. She pursed her lips and I knew she was fighting the urge yell. Thankfully, Dara bounced in the doorway.